My Corydoras Laid Eggs!! Now What?

1. Over It Well Known Member Member

I just got 7 Corydoras 2 days ago. I got 2 Sterbai and 5 Julii. Well I was joking around with my daughter cause the biggest Sterbai and the biggest Julii are attached at the hip. Well this morning I woke up to find eggs placed all over the tank.

Is it even possible that these eggs could hatch? How do I give them the best possible chance for survival? My male Endlers are picking at them, but I'm scared to move them and I don't even know if they could possibly hatch.

Never had a Cory lay eggs before, so I need a crash course in trying to raise these babies.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You have some stocking issues, if you'd like to address them :)

Unless you physically saw one species lay eggs and the other try to fertilize them, I would assume that they're either unfertilized or they're a result of mating within a species. I don't think these can hybridize.

Here's some info:
    Tips on egg care
    Raising cory fry

3. Over It Well Known Member Member

Nope didn't see anything. When I went to bed there was nothing and then when I woke up they were there.
    Like I said I have no idea if these could even be fertile or not. I have never tried to breed Corys before so I was shocked to see them.

What are my stocking issues?

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Time will tell if they're fertile or not! Congratulations though!

Cories should be in groups of 6+ of their own species, not mixed and matched. And false juliis don't have a lot of temperature overlap with sterbai, so I wouldn't keep them together.

What size tank is this? I would only keep one school in tanks under 48" long.

5. Over It Well Known Member Member

Well they didn't have any more Julii or Sterbai Corys. I got the last ones they had. So far they are all very happy together, but I would like to get 2 more Sterbai just incase. It's a 29 gal tall.
    I have maybe 20 male Endlers, and the Corys. I also have 5 Amano Shrimp.
    I would happily rehome the Endlers if I need to. I like the Corys a lot more and I want RCS so the Endlers can go and it can be a Cory and Shrimp tank.

Everyone seems super happy and healthy right now. They all school together and don't show any signs of stress. I'd really like to keep all of the ones I have if possible.

Guess I need to do more research on Sterbai corys.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The cories and the endlers don't occupy the same space, so rehoming the endlers won't make room for more cories.

In a tank that size, I would only do one school of one species, not two. You really don't have room for both.

Unfortunately, fish stress isn't easy to see. It usually appears in the forms of shorter lifespans and increased susceptibility to diseases.

It would be best for the cories to rehome one species and stock 8-10 of the species you choose to keep.

As endlers are warm water fish, I would keep the warm water cory, Sterbai, and rehome the cool water cory, the false juliis.

7. Over It Well Known Member Member

They do contribute to the Bio-load.

The tank is sitting at 76 right now.

I don't have time at the moment, but I will do some more research. I have never seen anything before saying you can't keep Sterbai with Julii's so I will see what will work best for my tank with the inhabitants I really want and go from there.

Just one last thing. Since I don't have time to do my own research is it possible for Sterbai and Julii to interbreed or not? I just want to know if it is even possible, not whether it's unlikely. That will also influence my decision.

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, but bioload isn't the issue here. Space is.

In a large enough tank, arguments could be made that there is enough temperature overlap and they can be kept together. However, as mentioned, your tank isn't large enough for complete schools of both species. That's super important.

I don't know if it's possible, sorry.

9. Over It Well Known Member Member

ok, thanks for the info. I'll do some research later and see what'll work best for my tank and the inhabitants I really want to have. I want happy and healthy fish above all else.

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The best is for the cories to be in adequately sized schools with their own species. Other people may keep fish in substandard conditions without them dying, but that doesn't make it right. So keep that in mind while you're researching. Seriously Fish and Planet Catfish are good sources.

11. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Technically corydoras are from the same genus so they can inbreed. There are lists in Planet Catfish with species that have interbred. They only interbreed when they dont have someone of their own species to mate. I dont think there isnt much research to make tbh.

Personally I dont like the idea of keeping corydoras species together in home aquaria. I have done it in the past, but temporally. Corydoras school by hundreds, maybe thousands in the wild so I think its unfair to keep a bunch of different species in small schools when you could keep one species in a big school.

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Not all animals in the same genus can interbreed, so that's not sufficient evidence for it. But if it has happened in the past, then we know for sure that it can happen.

13. Over It Well Known Member Member

The problem is I got one Julii from the "adoption tank" at Petco. I just felt bad for it and of course I had to get him/her some friends. All they had were 4 other Julii's so I got them and then I got 2 free and they only had 2 Sterbai so I decided to get them as well.
    I'm super torn right now as I really like them both and I really wanna keep all of them. I might just have to break out my 20 gal so I can keep both and have the Sterbai in one tank and the Julii in another.

I don't want them interbreeding and I've never even wanted to breed anything other than RCS and my Endlers. After I got the Endlers I realized there wasn't much demand for them in my area and I won't ship so they were just going to have to be given away for free and most likely used as feeder fish. I decided to sell all the females and keep the males. I like the Endlers, but there are other fish I would rather have in the 29 gal. so I'm not sure what I am going to do there.

Which ones would be better in a tank with RCS?

TBH I didn't watch the vids, but have Julii and Sterbai interbred in the past that you know of?

Ok so I've been looking at everything I can find and nothing says that Sterbai and False Julii's can't be kept together.
    What I have found so far.
    Planet Catfish says Sterbai do best in temps of 75-82.

Seriously Fish says False Julii's do best at temps of 72-78.

Live Aquaria says False Julii's do best at temps of 72-79.

Planet Catfish says False Julii's do best at temps of 60.8 -77.

You see my confusion. Everyone has a different answer.

Now to address the issue of tank size. I really feel that 2 schools of 6 could live happily in my tank, but I will look more into whether just the one school would be better than 2.
    Here's a pic of my tank and all of them eating together yesterday. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

None of this sites say they do best (thrive) in the whole temprange. They will survive but one not in constantly warm water and the other constantly in cold water. The mentioned temps are minimum add maximum. Sterbai do better in warm water, trilineatus better in cooler waterm

15. Over It Well Known Member Member

Well this has sure been fun! :/ I guess most people just don't keep their fish in optimal conditions and somehow they still do well.
    I just wanted to know if those Corydoras could breed successfully and now it's a huge debate about whether or not I'm taking good enough care of my fish.
    I'm sorry, but just the fact that the female laid eggs tells me that I must be doing something right.
    Not everyone is going to have the same opinion and not everything is black and white. I have had a lot of success whether many others have failed and vice versa. If I had sick, unhealthy fish then I would be inclined to believe I am absolutely doing something wrong, but it's quite opposite for me right now so I think I'll do what I feel is best for my fish and continue to try and provide them with the best life I can. They have it a of a lot better than most fish people keep so I think they'd prefer to be in the well maintained and cared for tank they have now, than in one of the thousands of others where they are just struggling to live.

16. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Either would be fine with RCS.

I would move the false julii to the 20 gal tank, as they are smaller than the sterbai and would fit better in that size tank with 6 of them.

For the larger 29 gal, you could reduce your number of endlers, add more sterbai, and add more fish to the tank?

And just because they laid eggs in your tank, doesn't mean you're doing something right. You did just buy them 2 days ago.

17. Prism Well Known Member Member

I have a cory in a 31g, she is albino and mated with another smaller male albino, (her name is phillis) and laid eggs, but they started to grow a fungus, and were dead.

18. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Temperature is black and white. They evolved in certain climates and they will do best at certain temperatures. Since I dont think you will reproduce seasonal temperature shifts the best is to keep them somewhere in between their range. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not to their own facts. We are just providing info, at the end of the day they are your fish and you are free to do whatever you want with them. Good luck.

19. yukondog Well Known Member Member

If you don't want to breed them just let nature take its course, if they are fertile they should start to turn a sandy color in about 24 hrs.

20. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

It's not a debate, but a reaction and explanation on your post. No more no less