My Cory Isn’t Acting Himself.

Kameron
I don’t understand I haven’t added any new fish to the tank it’s been the same amount but I feel as my tetra are just picking on him. You can see from his fins being nipped. The other cories are not being nipped or anything. Here is a video of him breathing really fast and can see the nips from the fins. Idk if I should move him to my betta tank that has a dwarf frog and betta. It’s a 10 gallon or leave him.

fjh
I think you forgot to attach the video

Kameron
It won’t let me upload it. Here is some photos

Attachments

• 54487890-7006-4F28-A165-8A816507205A.png
    54487890-7006-4F28-A165-8A816507205A.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 85
  • 105C5FC6-8B15-4500-8852-F787AE8BD039.png
    105C5FC6-8B15-4500-8852-F787AE8BD039.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • 14A79323-76FC-41B8-B937-5162C4F79098.png
    14A79323-76FC-41B8-B937-5162C4F79098.png
    2 MB · Views: 108
mossman
How many tetra do you have? Can they be moved? Something needs to be done or your Cory is going to die. Ideally, I'd say to keep him with the other Corys while he heals, and obviously away from the tetra. You also want to keep on top of the water changes to ensure you have pristine conditions while he heals.

Kameron
I have I believe 16 tetra. Skirt tetra and phantom tetra. I don’t have that big of a tank for all those tetra to move to another. Only a 10 gallon and they are in a 36g. Why all of a sudden they attack. They have been together for a couple months or so

I do weekly water changes if not 2 times a week some times

mossman
It's hard to say. He could be sick and acting lethargic, which is causing the tetras to pick on him. He's likely going to be bullied to death, so if you want to save him, he needs to be moved to a hospital tank until he heals.

Kameron
How many tetra do you have? Can they be moved? Something needs to be done or your Cory is going to die. Ideally, I'd say to keep him with the other Corys while he heals, and obviously away from the tetra. You also want to keep on top of the water changes to ensure you have pristine conditions while he heals.
Should I try to make more hiding places? It’s a planted tank so I’d figure it would have multiple places to go. I have crypts all over the place

It's hard to say. He could be sick and acting lethargic, which is causing the tetras to pick on him. He's likely going to be bullied to death, so if you want to save him, he needs to be moved to a hospital tank until he heals.
You think he would be ok with my betta? That’s the only other tank I have.

mossman
A cave type ornament could help. It would give him a dark place to hide out. I have one in my 20 long and my Cories hang out there for most of the day when they aren't feeding.

I think the Cory would be fine in the Betta tank. Only one way to find out. One thing's for sure, he isn't fine in his current tank.

I put one of these in my 20 long and my Corys hang out there all the time. My Dwarf Gourami claimed it as his sleeping spot at one point in time, but has since given it up and has started sleeping under my Amazon Swords.

Kameron
I put one of these in my 20 long and my Corys hang out there all the time. My Dwarf Gourami claimed it as his sleeping spot at one point in time, but has since given it up and has started sleeping under my Amazon Swords.
I’ve seen those before. I’ll see if I can find one. Do you think I should try to have it in the same tank as him or just move to the betta tank?

mossman
I really don't know, but I'm inclined to say leave him in his current tank with his buddies and hopefully he'll hang out inside the cave to stay away from the tetras. And the other Corys will likely join him.

You could also dose with some API Melafix to prevent infection and promote fin healing. I'm not positive, but you may need to remove the carbon from your filter, if you are using it.

Kameron
I really don't know, but I'm inclined to say leave him in his current tank with his buddies and hopefully he'll hang out inside the cave to stay away from the tetras. And the other Corys will likely join him.

You could also dose with some API Melafix to prevent infection and promote fin healing. I'm not positive, but you may need to remove the carbon from your filter, if you are using it.
Ok great. I will have to get a little cave for him and hope that works and pick up some of the Melafix. I almost thought it was ammonia but tested and it’s at 0. so thought it was oxygen levels, so I added a bubbler then that’s when I realized his fins. Maybe I need to feed my tetra more food to not pick on him

jdhef
It won’t let me upload it. Here is some photos
You cannot upload videos directly to FishLore. You would have to upload the video to a video hosting site (such as You Tube) then post a link to the video in your thread.

mossman
I believe there are a couple different sizes. I would get the larger one ($32.99 I think). And if you can, position a couple plants in front of the front/back entrances to keep the tetras out of there.

Kameron
I believe there are a couple different sizes. I would get the larger one ($32.99 I think). And if you can, position a couple plants in front of the front/back entrances to keep the tetras out of there.

Oh ok gotcha. I’ll have to do that to Keep them safe. Thanks. So water change, give them a nice cave then melafix

mossman
I'm no expert, but that's what I would do. Give the injured fish a safe comfortable place to heal, with his fellow Corys present to make him happy. I'd also feed him a balanced diet to keep his immune system up (freeze dried bloodworms, tubifex, flakes, shrimp pellets). I would feed them at night when the lights are off to keep the tetras from bombarding him. My glowlight tetras will steal food right from under my Corys if I feed them during the day. I've been able to trick them at night most times. If I feed them during the daylight hours, I'll make a sprinkling motion with my left hand on one side of the tank to distract them while placing a wafer or pellet inside the cave for the Corys.

Kameron
I'm no expert, but that's what I would do. Give the injured fish a safe comfortable place to heal, with his fellow Corys present to make him happy.
Ok that makes complete sense. Thanks! I’ll post some pics with the new cave when I get everything fixed up

Kameron
I'm no expert, but that's what I would do. Give the injured fish a safe comfortable place to heal, with his fellow Corys present to make him happy. I'd also feed him a balanced diet to keep his immune system up (freeze dried bloodworms, tubifex, flakes, shrimp pellets). I would feed them at night when the lights are off to keep the tetras from bombarding him. My glowlight tetras will steal food right from under my Corys if I feed them during the day. I've been able to trick them at night most times. If I feed them during the daylight hours, I'll make a sprinkling motion with my left hand on one side of the tank to distract them while placing a wafer or pellet inside the cave for the Corys.
I’m going to do that with sticking the food in the cave. Because they take the pellets all the time. Yes blood worms are there favorite

DoubleDutch
Could it be it is being chased by males (mating)?

Kameron
Could it be it is being chased by males (mating)?
I’m not sure? Never really looked at the way they mate. They will nip each other’s fins? Think it could be out numbered?

DoubleDutch
The males can be pretty rough chasing females.

Kameron
So it could be maybe only one female in the tank?

DoubleDutch
Could be (they're bigger than males).
So it could be maybe only one female in the tank?

Kameron
I couldn’t find any caves at my petco near me but I got the melafix. Did the water change then added the medicine. I made my own caves out of rocks I had. Idk why I didn’t think of it lol. I have 2 caves one bigger one which is the first photo. Then a longer one that has a couple different exits to it. The last 2 pics. Hopefully this helps a little.

Attachments

• 87A303E2-CF60-4690-8C2A-305E7CB579BA.jpeg
    87A303E2-CF60-4690-8C2A-305E7CB579BA.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 55
  • CBA5E1C1-D388-4775-A555-2074EE31CA68.jpeg
    CBA5E1C1-D388-4775-A555-2074EE31CA68.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 26E2D6CD-B9B0-45A9-90DD-D4990D423808.jpeg
    26E2D6CD-B9B0-45A9-90DD-D4990D423808.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 55
Kameron

He is doing SOO much better!