My cory is injured Help

1. VDUBLOVE Member Member

Some fish in my tank not going to point fingers (jack Dempsey) ate my corys eye and barbs off. .......will they grow back?.........can you put aloe vera water in the tank to fix it? Please help he is the oldest fish I know. ....:/

2. FiscCyning Member Member

I wouldn't put aloe vera in the tank, but you can treat with vita chem and Kordon fish protector to help him heal. You can also soak his food in the vita chem or garlic juice (garlic guard is a prepared garlic solution that works well) to strengthen his immune system and promote healing.

I would also suggest that you move him into another tank while he heals, so that the Dempsey doesn't attack him again. Other fish may target him too now that he is injured. A hospital tank also makes it easier to do the frequent water changes you will need to maintain pristine water conditions to avoid infections.

Since I don't know the extent of the damage, I can't guarantee that he will recover, but these would all be good steps to take to improve his chances. Wishing you and your Cory luck.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The barbels may grow back to some extent with good clean water but keep an eye on him for signs of infection.
    If he's lost both eyes he may adapt if he's put in a tank with other corys but no other fish to harass him but if he shows signs of distress & is not eating it may be best to euthanise him.

4. VDUBLOVE Member Member

So I put him in my guppy ten gallon. .....He is swimming and he only lost one eye..[​IMG][​IMG]

5. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

yikes totally watch for infections and keep the water pristine . I would doe 10-20% wc daily until he improves

6. Falcon JJ Member Member

Poor guy. Sad to see, but I'm happy you're trying to help him as much as you can. I wouldn't ever put him back in the same tank with the fish that did this.

7. VDUBLOVE Member Member

Yea I'm going to give him to my gf because she has a extra tank to put him in at her house. I hope he will be alright

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That really doesn't look good & he may not make it, anti bacterial meds may help him as well as pristine water.
    If he does make it he'll be fine with only one eye, they adapt very well

9. VDUBLOVE Member Member

He didn't make it........He was blind in the first place ..with out his barbs he would of starved. ..Thanks for the help

10. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

So sorry to hear that. I know we all hoped he'd make it.

11. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry you lost him :(