My Convict Cichlids are being jerks.

1. Vgplo Initiate Member

:;hi2

Just joined this nice looking community of fish people, Glad to be here!

I have a problem with my Convict Cichlids. Got the 2 of them about 1 week ago and they're pretty small, about an inch and a half. They behaved for the first couple days but then they started picking on my Leporinus who is about the same length but of course much more slim. My Leporinus never actually gets hurt, but I bet he's pretty stressed out since he's getting chased all the time. It's a 55 Gallon tank I'm keeping them in, along with an Oscar who's about 4 and a half inches, but he never bothers anybody unless they bother him. Luckily for my Leporinus he found a spot under one of my huge rocks that only he can fit in. Any advice for fixing this problem? I'm thinking that the best thing to do is to give away my Convicts.... That would suck because I've really started to like them, even though they're huge jerks.

2. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Hello and Welcome to Fishlore.

What kind of decor is in your tank? What are your current water parameters? If the line of sight across the tank isn't broken or if the parameters are off aggression tends to escalate.

If you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the My Settings button at the top of this page, and select Edit Aquarium Info. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.

3. Vgplo Initiate Member

Oh sorry I didn't know there was a page like that. I have a lot of big rocks, a big log that stands up vertically, and a massive cover of plants (they're fake, since all my fish do is tear real ones up). There is no way they can see each other across the tank unless they both are sitting at the top, which never happens unless they're eating, in which case they're not bothering each other since they're busy eating. My Leporinus just sits at the bottom waiting for the food to drop. My Oscar does the same since he's still not use to me.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Attached Files:

5. Vgplo Initiate Member

Thanks!

6. Vgplo Initiate Member

Update: Now one of the convicts is beating the other one up as well as everything else BUT the Plecostomus & the Oscar. Mean little devil.