My 'community' Tank 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by wildBill, Oct 31, 2018.

1. wildBill

wildBillNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    Morning fish affecionados,

I just added 14 tiger barbs to my 55 gallon tank. 8 glo-barbs from petsmart, and 6 green TB's from my LFS. Before this the only occupants were 3 glo tetras, and 3 glo danios.
    The 6 of them are a little uneasy about this transition. The tetras are much bigger than the barbs. They seem to be holding their own, acting a bit more territorial than usual. I'd like to fill their school out with at least two or three more, hopefully that helps them feel more secure. The danios may have to go, I think they'll be living in fear as long as the barbs are around, even if I filled out the school.

I treat my water with prime. Although the tank is cycled, since I tripled the bio-load I've been adding stability and will continue to do so. At the moment I'm at work, but once I get home I'll test my parameters, yesterday they were perfect but this was before adding the barbs.
    P.S I'm running 1 aquaclear110, when I get the money I was considering adding a second filter.

Just wanted to share my excitement, if you've got any tips or experiences with these awesome looking fish chime in.
    Thanks guys, enjoy Halloween!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  2. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Congratulations on getting your new water pets :)

You gotta know we love photos. Please share one of your tank and its new inhabitants with us.

3. OP
    OP
    wildBill

wildBillNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks! I'll upload one when I'm home. Unfortunately don't have the decor picked out, just threw in what was in my 10 :emoji_cold_sweat:

It's tough to pick a theme but I like that Brooklyn bridge by penn plax.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2018
  4. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,690
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My tanks are never done. I am constantly changing something in them. At least it keeps my fish used to hands in their homes :D

5. OP
    OP
    wildBill

wildBillNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    Forgot to get that pic, I picked up two more glo tetras, everything's kosher even the danios seem content.

TB's are eating my plants bare!

6. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,690
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It sounds like they like their veggies :D Maybe if you put some kind of veggies in there for them they would leave your plants alone.

7. OP
    OP
    wildBill

wildBillNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    I've read about frozen peas, the TB's are omnivores. I feed them some kind of seaweed/veggie flake. Either I should feed them more frequently, or they just prefer the real thing. Plants are cheap enough. I'd get them more when they're done, or try to grow some at the rate the fish are eating. They seem to like the hornwort best.