My Community Tank - Dsm - What I Should I Start With? Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Darin Wilson, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Darin Wilson

Darin WilsonNew MemberMember

Hi everyone,

So I’m getting super excited and trying to stay patient to wait for my DSM to grow out more, but in the meantime I’ve been doing research on fish / inverts. I’m thinking about keeping Zebra Danio’s, Gouramis, Otos, and Shrimp in my 55gal tank. It’s coming along quite nicely and it’s about half way done. Although I may extend the time, because I want my HC to completely carpet the bottom tier. So far I’ve read that these species are pretty cool with each other and I shouldn’t have any trouble makers in the tank, I want to hear a more experienced fish keepers thoughts though. Also, which types of these species should I go about adding to the community 55gal first? I’m in the process of setting up a quarantine tank up, because I want to have the highest possibility of success. This will be my first attempt at a community tank, so if you could warn me about any of the issues that you’ve encountered would be amazing also!

Growing in the community tank is Swords, HC, Dwarf Lilies(Hoping the come back), and Mystery Moss. I plan on adding taller plants when it’s filled to make more hiding spots. I know I’ll probably need a CO2 setup when it’s filled to keep plants healthy. Let me know if you have any suggestions or concerns!

Attached Files:

2. Seasoldier

SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

Hi, I keep golden gourami (5) & pearl & glowlight danios in my community tank with no issues (don't have zebras though but they shouldn't be much different to pearls). I had otos in a previous tank a long time back & they're quite delicate fish & can go belly up at the slightest thing, they need to go into a well established tank & you'll need to keep pristine water conditions, they'll also need to be in a group of at least 6 preferably more. I noted from your profile that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle, it's vital that you learn all about this, your fish's lives will depend on it as you'll need to cycle the tank once you've filled it with water. That's a really nice look you've got going on with the scaping once the plants grow in it's going to look awesome.

3. OP
    OP
    Darin Wilson

yes I’ve been reading up on the nitrogen cycle and have got the testing kits / filtration needed for that to begin :) I have other smaller tanks that I can steal media from to speed up this process!

4. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would do something like this
    15 zebra danios (these will school with leopard danios so you can mix the 2 if you like)
    1 dwarf gourami OR 4-6 honey gouramis
    8 otos
    10 amano shrimp
    5 ghost shrimp

With this stocking you would have room for a few other fish if you wanted.
    I would start by adding the danios a few at a time, then the gourami(s), then the ghost shrimp, then the amano shrimp and finally the otos once the tank is well established.

5. OP
    OP
    Darin Wilson

Is it unwise to have more dwarf Gouramis? Why would I only want one?

6. BottomDweller

2 male dwarf gouramis will fight, sometimes to death. Females won't fight but are very hard to find since most stores don't stock them because they are a drab silvery colour. Males can be pretty tough on the females too. I recommend keeping a group of honeys since they are very sociable and are often more confident if you keep a group.

7. OP
    OP
    Darin Wilson

Should I keep any snails in the tank or? Does a Dwarf gourami fight we golds? Like can I have one Dwarf and a few golds?

8. BottomDweller

Snails would be fine. Nerite snails are great since they eat algae, cannot breed in fresh water and do not harm plants.
    Gold gouramis can also be pretty aggressive, especially as they get older. They get a lot bigger than dwarf gouramis so mixing them likely wouldn't end well for the dwarf gourami. Generally mixing gouramis isn't recommended.