my community betta(F) passed...

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by kidster9700, Jul 31, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Normally when a fish dies, it's upsetting but not really that bad. However, my betta girl had so much personality and was just an amazing fit for my tank! I don't know what happened, she was fine until after I did my big 60% water change and rearranged the decor. Could that have stressed her enough to die? She was acting odd and swimming at the top of the tank yesterday and just overall lethargic. Before this, she was having problems with being bloated all the time. She was such a piggy and hogged all the food to the point that she would get her stomach all distended and lumpy. I fasted the whole tank for two days, and that helped, but of course she went back to being bloated immediately (the fast ended the day after the big tank re-do). All of my other fish are fine and active.
    Any ideas what could have killed her? :(

2. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Bettas can actually die from constipation. I had the same thing happen to me with one of my first bettas years ago that I had in a community tank. Was never sure exactly what caused the death, but later, when I knew more, I came to assume it was a case of constipation.

3. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I would also guess it was the bloat (constipation) that got her :( I'm sorry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

the poor thing... i'm going to have to get another female platy now, though :/ and they poop way too much. (the male platies also thought she was a platy)

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

I'm very sorry for your loss. :'( I know how hard it is to lose a betta. :'( :console:

I think the above posters had some pretty sound suggestions.^^

6. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

come to think of it, i very rarely saw her poop. :/

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry for your loss. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice