My comet and common goldfish

blueiristyson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here is my comet (her name is Cleo) and my common ( his name is Gus). They are best of friends. Cleo is 7 in and Gus is 5 in.

I rescued the common goldfish(Gus) 8 months ago and he had a bad case of fin rot. The previous owner had him in a ten gallon with a weak filter. He didn't know any better. He had no fins and was in rough shape. I took him and medicated him and you can see his fins are growing back nicely.

I bought the comet(Cleo) for the common(Gus) to have a buddy. The comet was 2 inches when I got her. Anyway, here are a couple pictures I took tonight.

Comments appreciated and welcome

Attachments

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aww such a cute couple! <3

how do you sex goldfish? or was it just a random guess? i just randomly guessed mine was a male, just so i could name it Copper (from the Fox an the Hound. thank you Disney for being so awesome =D) lol

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Beautiful goldies! I hate to tell you this, but Cleo appears to be a male and Gus (although it is a bit difficult with the fin damage) could be a female. "Common" and "Comet" are almost interchangeable. They have been cross bred so much that there is not so much difference between them anymore. Especially with the "feeder" goldfish that most chain stores carry.

Males usually have the larger more flowing more angular fins with a deeper forked tail. The females usually have shorter more rounded fins and a much less noticeable fork in the tail. Also, the female will have a more rounded body than the male. Sometimes looking almost twice as thick from the top as a male of the same size.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They look great whatever gender they are
Just wondering, what tank size are they in?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
gremlin said:
Beautiful goldies! I hate to tell you this, but Cleo appears to be a male and Gus (although it is a bit difficult with the fin damage) could be a female. "Common" and "Comet" are almost interchangeable. They have been cross bred so much that there is not so much difference between them anymore. Especially with the "feeder" goldfish that most chain stores carry.

Males usually have the larger more flowing more angular fins with a deeper forked tail. The females usually have shorter more rounded fins and a much less noticeable fork in the tail. Also, the female will have a more rounded body than the male. Sometimes looking almost twice as thick from the top as a male of the same size.
oooooh, ok. so now im thinking Copper was a girl lol he was kinda round-ish, but its been a while since i had him, so i could be wrong >.<

blueiristyson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Honestly I dont know what sex they are. I just like to beleive that the common is a boy and the comet is a girl..lol. I was always curious to what their real sex is. Thanks for the compliments on my goldies!!

blueiristyson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
NMFISHMAN they are in a 75 gallon

Tony G.

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
beautiful goldies! I wish i could house commons not enough room... but someday

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
blueiristyson said:
NMFISHMAN they are in a 75 gallon
Cool thanks. Sounds like a real nice tank!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Beautiful Goldies Blue,

Thanks for sharing the photos! Great rescue!

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads