My columbian sharks

messie23

DiTrolioDude

Do they not eat your smaller fish, like your guppys and bumble bee gobies?

messie23

no not that iv seen the sharks tend to stay away from them they will chace them away from where they are but no. no probs at all

DiTrolioDude

Coooooooool! ;D I think I'm going to have a look into these

Aquarist

Good morning,

Thanks for sharing the video.

Is there a reason that you don't have the aquarium filled to the top? It appears to be only 1/2 full. ???

Ken

betsyboo

we have had to move in with family so its on a 2nd storey so to reduce the weight we have only half filled it , should be moving early next year

Aquarist

Good afternoon,

I see . Thanks for letting me know. Sounds like a good reason to me!

Ken

betsyboo

we didnt want it to fall through the floor lol don't think the babies would enjoy (or survive) the drop

Sharkdude

Nice sharks! Almost as big as mine

Virt

They didnt stop at the stop sign

betsyboo

lol I no, woke up yesterday morning and they had ripped it out the sand and have dragged it else where , they do this regularly with the plstic plants that are in there when they get bored or it gets in their way of where they want to lay they start redecorating lol. thanks shark dude how long have u had yours ??

Sharkdude

I started with them almost two years ago. I just love them

betsyboo

the biggest one we got on the 15th sept last year so just over the year mark. we love them too, wouldnt want anything else now we addicted lol once we move we saving for 7 or 8ft tank so they will have tonnes of space for when they are fully grown. how longs does it take them to get to their full size??

Sharkdude

Not long under proper care and diet. My largest "Jaws" is closing in on 11 inches. It is commonly said they reach 12-14" in aquria.

sirdarksol

DiTrolioDude said:
Coooooooool! ;D I think I'm going to have a look into these
While they are very pretty fish, they aren't an easily-kept fish. They require a large tank (they are schooling fish, and, as has been noted, get to be over a foot long), and, given that their water needs to be changed from freshwater to full seawater over their life, they don't really do well in a community tank over the long-term.

Sharkdude

That and they eat anything that will fit in there mouth.

betsyboo

yea\ tell me about it , we did our research before getting them. they are in a 4ft tank at the moment sharkdude how long do u think they will be ok in this as realisticly were are looking at end of 2012 early 2013 before I can get the massive tank as we have had problems with housing . the tank they have now is approx 400 litres

Sharkdude

I had 5 in a 75 gallon for almost a year with three monos and a dragon goby. No problems as far as additude go. Just keep up on water changes and have a really good filter. I was using a fluval 405 but I also added clearmax to help the lots of biomeidea I had.

GemstonePony

Nice sharks!
It looks like you have them with mollies? makes sense, since they can also be full saltwater fish, but wouldn't they be in danger of being eaten?

Sharkdude

I had a few mollies with mine for a while. I got the biggest ones at the store, out of the fpur I got only two got eaten. Mollies do get big enough to stay off the menu but this also depends on size the sharks compared to the mollies.

betsyboo

yea got mollies with them , also have ( all them bar 2) baby mollies in there and none of them have been eaten so far although we are fully aware that they could become lunch. yea we got the fluval 405 and do water changes weekly. I would love just 1 more shark as eventualy the mollies will dissapear but I'm worried if it will be ok?? what do u think ??

Sharkdude

Should be okay until you get the new tank. Once I moved mine into the 125 they practically grew and inch over night or at least it seemed like it.

betsyboo

cool cool, what's the biggest tank urs will go in to?? the tank we were saving for was 300 us gallons ( I think thanks what it worked out , its 1146 litres) as I read they need that when they were older but I mite cut down if they don't need that much.

Sharkdude

Meh, IMO a 125 is good for the life of the fish in a group of 5 plus other fish. The sharks will take most of the bioload up so its important to have the best filtration possible.

The sump on my tank is rated for up to 220 gallons. With the dual return pumps my Gph is about 1500 or higher . So filtration is not an issue on that tank.

300 gallons will give you plenty of room for decor, other large livestock and less maintenance.

betsyboo

cool thank you I defiently want one more and ours seem to like bits of decor in their as they swim in and out of the plants and through the wood. some people have told me not tot have any decor in their but mine seem fine. at the minute I think they havimg a binge on food last week they werent too interested , now its gone in seconds!! have u tried the HikarI Tropical Sinking Carnivore Pellets or HikarI Massivore Delite Pellets ?? are these any good for the bigger cs??

Sharkdude

I have 3mm NLS Thera +A as their staple food but I also feed them HikarI Carnivour Pellets and they love them.

I only have pieces of driftwood on the back wall of the tank. You have to be careful of what decor you choose. It should have no sharp edges or points as they are prone to scraches.

betsyboo

yea we have drift wood and some fake plants and have sand. I have thought about getting some as I have the normal catfish p[ellets and they eat them like there is no tomorrow

Sharkdude

I also feed feeder minnows once a month as a snack.

betsyboo

mine have a wide range lol they have had tropical flakes, catfish pellets, freeze dried bloodworms and brine shrimp, live blood worms and brine shrimp , frozen blood worms , brineshrimp, daphina and mysis, prawns cockles muscles and yesterday they had a little bit of scampI ( a family member brought it and it defrosted slightly before they got home , so we gave them a little)

gourami88

Virt

Wouldnt be much different to the outside world eh? I get ticketed by my inferiors all the time

gourami88

^ LOL yeah...never been pulled over here but our local island police are, well a joke around here. The state patrols that also roam the island actually do something.

messie23

right a lil update for you ... the guppys grew to about 2inchs then over night one dissappered then about 2 weeks later the othere one went too .. .. I have found 2 dead mollys in the tank and 2 mollys dissappered ....... over night one of the dead ones was hole. where the over had bits missing the bubble bee gobbees are m,i,a aswell ... I hav 5 mollys still living all seens fine but I never noo what I well wake too .. but on a good note I also got some archer fish as I was told they get on well with my sharks and it is ture what they say it is like having but of natgeo wild in your room

Sharkdude

Nice choice on the archers. They do get about 10" so you will have to upgrade to the 125. If you keep the water level down and have a branch out of the water put a cricket on the branch and the archer will shoot it off and eat It.

messie23

sad news guys two weeks ago our smallest cs sadly passed :'( we aren't too sure what happened but we feed them and all well happy and healthy then 10 mins later hes belly up. checked water and all was fine all the others are ok so we not too sure. we did get him out and put him in a bucket of water too make sure he hadn't just knocked him self out but unfortuantly there were no signs of life

Sharkdude

So sorry to hear that. Best of luck with the remaining.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom