my columbian shark/catfish

1. money45 Initiate Member

okay i bought a columbian shark not to long ago about a 1 inch or so
    and he stays by my 2 filter's he moves back and forthe though them both and he eats fine he comes out to eat...i tried dropping stuff that floats to the bottom in a night when i turned out my light i have low salt in the tank it is a 30 gallon tank i have a 65 and a 75 for when he gets bigger what do i do!!!????!!!

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!
    Can you go to mysettings, and then aquarium information , and fill it out? it will help us help you better :)

how long has the tank been running?
    what did you cycle it with?
    what are the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate readings?
    what test kit are you using?

those are some, that with the answers, allows us to know more about your tank and what might be going on!

3. money45 Initiate Member

i filled in my info go look and see if you can help

4. thorpbrian Member Member

First off, welcome to Fishlore!

Do you know the actual readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

"Normal" doesn't really tell us anything because we have no idea what you think normal is.

A fully cycled tank should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5+ nitrates. If you don't already have your own liquid test kit I highly recommend getting one as it is vital for proper fish keeping. The strips can be highly unreliable. The API Master Test Kit is what I, and most others on this forum, recommend.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

+2 you need to be more specific..that doesnt leave us much :(

6. money45 Initiate Member

i went and changed a couple of things i went and bought that liquid test and it helped alot i have had this fish for a month acts fine and just stays at the top i drop stuff in the bottom at night and he eats most of it....idk wat to do plz help

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Glad to hear you got a test kit.
    What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

8. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

I had a shark cat a few years ago and he was constantly swimming(franticly). He would swim against the current of the filter outlet all the time...IMO this is natural. I'm glad to see you have him in a brackish tank(most don't and think they will be ok).

Hope this helps
    Nick

9. money45 Initiate Member

in couple of weeks i will have him and a clown shark in a 55 gallon tank....any comments or help

10. money45 Initiate Member

i have only one more questin and it is kinda an odd one is it okay to feed my sharks hamburger meat they like it alot and seem to eat well when it is in there i now have.....

1 red tail shark
    1 rainbow shark
    1 paroon shark (i am investing in a pond for this fish)
    1 columbian shark

11. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

I would advise you not to feed any of your sharks hamburger meat, you would be better off (and so would they) sticking to ready made aquatic foods.
    Nick

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Money45 and Welcome to Fish Lore.
    Ken