My Clowns

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just started a clown breeding program. Currently I have four pairs of clowns. There are two perculas in my main reef tank of 75gl. Two juvenile perculas in a ten gallon. Two gold striped maroons in a 30 gallon. And finally two red saddlebacks currently in a 20L tank, but I'll move them to a 30 gl as soon as possible. They're not a very commonly found fish so when my LFS told me they had them I got the only tank I had lying around set up on the quick. Even built a stand using cinder blocks and an inch and a half thick oak board. And yes - it looks ghetto.

I have a 20T freshwater tank right now but I'm giving the fish away to my kids so that I can use the tank for salt and I'll move the juvenile clowns into that tank. I might even remove the percs from the DT into the 20L after I move the reds out of there, but they seem pretty happy in the DT.

Anyway, here they all are, in all their glory:

Attachments

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Stupid five picture limit!
The picture with the three clowns in it was before I removed the two juveniles from the DT. What was happening was that I had four clowns in there. Two paired up, and a third was just waiting his turn. They all picked on the fourth one which was (and still is) the smallest. He still doesn't even have his tail stripe filled in all the way. Now that I moved the third perc and the little guy out of the DT they get along very well.

I can't get a good picture of the red saddlebacks as I just got them last night and they're still a bit squeamish.

For the maroons, I saw in my LFS a very nice looking small guy. They had a larger maroon in another tank but he was badly misbarred. I went to another store and they had a large maroon there, so I picked him up. Called the more LFS and begged them to hold the smaller guy until the next day. That's reason #1 to support your smaller, more expensive LFS whenever possible. They'll do you a favor from time to time. When I went in the next day to pick him up someone called to ask if I had come by yet as I was paying for it because they wanted it.

I used a small cylinder to introduce them. I put some plastic over the top and kept it there with a rubberband. Then I made a small opening in the plastic. The idea was that I put the little guy in there so that the big guy doesn't kill him right away. He can come out, but then has a place to run back to where the bigger one can't get him. He didn't come out, so I kind of just did it the old fashioned way and let him out while keeping the fish net in my hands in case of emergency. It was kind of cool - she/he took a nip at him and he went sideways and quivered in fear. This happened three times and now they get along just fine.

When I got the bigger maroon he was very poorly colored. Since then she/he (not sure if he's made the transition yet) has colored up nicely.

Attachments

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ideally I want to rack all of these tanks, drill them, and run them all through one central sump system. This will stabilize water parameters, provide more total water volume, allow me to get rid of the filters for each system, save me electricity as I'll only need to heat one system, filter one system, and skim one system. It will also free up a number of power outlets as I'm running low. Finally, it will be a lot less work as I can test one system rather than testing each one.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
your clowns are beautiful, i look forward to hearing about your progress on breeding and especially want to see pics of the babies

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm kind of looking forward to that, too. I think the two bigger percs are the most likely to start off. They're a year old and have grown significantly in the short time that I've had them. Usually, though, it takes around a year before they lay eggs. I'm crossing my fingers.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No real updates yet, other than that the red saddlebacks are starting to swim around a lot. The big one still hides when I come by, but the little one comes right up to me. The two smaller percs won't swim anywhere in the tank but the top. I checked the salinity and that seems fine. There's a sebae anemone in there. I know that's not a natural for Percs, but my last set were all over the sebae I had a couple of months ago.

The two percs in the main display tank have grown tremendously over the last three months or so. The ones in the ten gallon...well not so much.

The sebae has been moved to the maroon tank and the clowns there are loving it. They now do everything together whereas before they kind of didn't hang out together.

The red saddlebacks are doing well. The big one hides and occasionally takes a run at the smaller one, who immediately runs for cover. The bigger one doesn't like it when I've fed them and the little guy eats before he/she does. These two haven't yet gotten to the point where they hang around with each other. I've included a couple of skunk shrimp to this tank as I would like to get them mating, too.

On Monday I'll be picking up a 55gl tank. At that time I'll move the Maroon clowns into the 55, the red saddlebacks into the 29gl, and the smaller percs into the 20. I'm not yet sure if I'm going to remove the bigger percs from the 75gl tank as they seem to be doing well.

Oh, and I've set up a couple of frag racks inside the 75. So now I'm hopefully going to propagate corals.

Merged back to back posts.
Ken

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well I did something stupid and the red saddlebacks died so let's just leave it at that. Oh - note to the wise - when you set up a new tank don't put the cold water, salt, and mature live rock in at the same time. It kills everything in the live rock and then when you put your red saddlebacks in there they die. This is what happens on little sleep and not thinking before doing.

I cleaned that tank out with vinegar and a very good FW rinse. Set it up again properly - live rock after water came to temp and good salinity. I put a new set of red saddlebacks in there and they mysteriously died. I'm thinking that maybe there's some copper in there because the red saddlebacks are completely vulnerable to copper.

I've set up six tanks in this manner and this is the first one that failed on me (other than making that stupid mistake earlier). So I've no idea why they died - just speculation. Luckily they're not too expensive. Just cool looking.

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry bout all that......I hope it all turns around...and u get some babies real soon. They are all beautiful by the way

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I replaced them with a couple of clarkiis and I like them a lot better. They have a great personality. They watch me walking around the tank as if they're begging for more food. Maroons are going good. I have a pair of ocellaris and another pair of black ocellaris. Two tomato clowns, two black saddlebacks, and I think that's it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom