My Clownfish Is At Same Place

sanjay7
I recently started my reef tank , yes I'm a beginner. I have 60 litres of water and I mixed instant ocean salt . It was there for 2 days and then I got a pair of clownfish . From the day one it's at the corners . Idk if they are food. I know it's soon for a fish in New tank . Any solution now ?

Culprit
what are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings? Do you know how to cycle a tank? I would say they are in the middle of an in tank cycle, dangerous for the fish. Dose Prime at twice the recommended amounts, and do water changes whenever the ammonia gets above 0.5. What salinity and temp are you at? How much live rock? Live or dry rock?

sanjay7
what are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings? Do you know how to cycle a tank? I would say they are in the middle of an in tank cycle, dangerous for the fish. Dose Prime at twice the recommended amounts, and do water changes whenever the ammonia gets above 0.5. What salinity and temp are you at? How much live rock? Live or dry rock?
No live rock or sand . I don't know about ammonia and nitrate values . The tank cycle is at the corner

Culprit
So, basically, ammonia is very harmful to fish. So is nitrite. Nitrates is not until its built up to high levels. So with live rock, good bacteria comes in from the air, or it was already on the rock. The first stage of good bacteria grows, and it converts the harmful ammonia to nitrite, which is still harmful, but not as harmful. Then the next stage of good bacteria grows, and convert the nitrite into nitrate. Then, you can do a 25% water change every week to get rid of the nitrate, or grow a macro algae that will eat the nitrates. Do you have a filter? For now, a filter will work the same as live rock. Put as big a sponge as you can get in the filter, and just leave it alone.

What temperature is your tank at? Do you have a heater in the tank? What salinity are you at (salt content of the water)? You can measure the salinity with a refractometer. I would advise going to the fish store and buying 15 pounds of live rock. Not dry rock. Rock that comes straight from their tank. Check out this article on cycling, very useful.

sanjay7
So, basically, ammonia is very harmful to fish. So is nitrite. Nitrates is not until its built up to high levels. So with live rock, good bacteria comes in from the air, or it was already on the rock. The first stage of good bacteria grows, and it converts the harmful ammonia to nitrite, which is still harmful, but not as harmful. Then the next stage of good bacteria grows, and convert the nitrite into nitrate. Then, you can do a 25% water change every week to get rid of the nitrate, or grow a macro algae that will eat the nitrates. Do you have a filter? For now, a filter will work the same as live rock. Put as big a sponge as you can get in the filter, and just leave it alone.

What temperature is your tank at? Do you have a heater in the tank? What salinity are you at (salt content of the water)? You can measure the salinity with a refractometer. I would advise going to the fish store and buying 15 pounds of live rock. Not dry rock. Rock that comes straight from their tank. Check out this article on cycling, very useful .
In my local store they were telling that we shouldn't add any Rock or sand after putting fish in tank . They told that it will increase ammonia and other stuff. Is it true ? . One person told me to add seachem prime , will it be helpful ? Since my problem is with the water can I use natural sea water and shore sand ? . Also they told me to run the bio filter for 25 days minimum to reduce ammonia and nitrate . Will it help ?

In my local store they were telling that we shouldn't add any Rock or sand after putting fish in tank . They told that it will increase ammonia and other stuff. Is it true ? . One person told me to add seachem prime , will it be helpful ? Since my problem is with the water can I use natural sea water and shore sand ? . Also they told me to run the bio filter for 25 days minimum to reduce ammonia and nitrate . Will it help ?
I will be getting ph digital meter from my friend to check the level . How is oh reading useful ?

Culprit

Not true. Live rock and live sand will benefit it greatly. Did you read the articles? Especially the one about cycling? Dosing Seachem prime at twice the amount suggested will neutralize the ammonia, making it safer for the fish. If you have access to natural sea water I would use it and do 50% water changes every other day. Yes do not touch the biofilter. It will eventually cycle and the bacteria will eat the ammonia and nitrite, and make nitrates.

sanjay7
Not true. Live rock and live sand will benefit it greatly. Did you read the articles? Especially the one about cycling? Dosing Seachem prime at twice the amount suggested will neutralize the ammonia, making it safer for the fish. If you have access to natural sea water I would use it and do 50% water changes every other day. Yes do not touch the biofilter. It will eventually cycle and the bacteria will eat the ammonia and nitrite, and make nitrates.
I added seachem now . Unfortunately the fish was very sick by that time ,it died . Now should I wait for one more week ? It has been a week since I got into saltwater tank . And yeah can you explain about sea water and the sand which is in the shore ? Can use and how to use ?

I added seachem now . Unfortunately the fish was very sick by that time ,it died . Now should I wait for one more week ? It has been a week since I got into saltwater tank . And yeah can you explain about sea water and the sand which is in the shore ? Can use and how to use ?
So I can Instal love rock and sand now with water is filled ? . How about corals ?

Culprit

Have you read the links I sent? That will help explain everything really well. I would suggest getting some pure ammonia and dosing to 1 ppm every day. I would not use the sand from the shore, but you can use seawater. Just use it like mixed seawater.

You should have put live rock and live sand in before you filled it. But yes, I would get about 15 lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of live sand.

sanjay7
Have you read the links I sent? That will help explain everything really well. I would suggest getting some pure ammonia and dosing to 1 ppm every day. I would not use the sand from the shore, but you can use seawater. Just use it like mixed seawater.

You should have put live rock and live sand in before you filled it. But yes, I would get about 15 lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of live sand.
Okay. Thanks for your help ,it made it clear. I will contact you for any help in future

sanjay7
It has been 4 weeks I have installed my reef tank . I use seachem prime . Whenever I get a new fish ,they are active for a week , after that they seem dull and die. I'm very confused. Why does this happens ? I thought of dropping saltwater aquarium .

Culprit
You have to cycle your aquarium. What happens is when fish poop they create ammonia which is super harmful. So on your live rock which you need to get, bacteria grows that eat the ammonia and covert it into nitrite, which is still very harmful. So more bacteria grows and eat the nitrite and make nitrate which isn't harmful until it gets to too high of levels which can take a while. Regular water changes (weekly) take out the nitrate keeping it at a manageble level. What you need to do is get 15 pounds of live rock, and 10 pounds of live sand, and put it in your aquarium. Then buy an ammonia and nitrite test kit, and pure ammonia. Dose ammonia to 2 ppm every evening. When 1 ppm of ammonia is converted to nitrates in 24 hours your cycled, which means you can then add fish and they will live.

sanjay7
You have to cycle your aquarium. What happens is when fish poop they create ammonia which is super harmful. So on your live rock which you need to get, bacteria grows that eat the ammonia and covert it into nitrite, which is still very harmful. So more bacteria grows and eat the nitrite and make nitrate which isn't harmful until it gets to too high of levels which can take a while. Regular water changes (weekly) take out the nitrate keeping it at a manageble level. What you need to do is get 15 pounds of live rock, and 10 pounds of live sand, and put it in your aquarium. Then buy an ammonia and nitrite test kit, and pure ammonia. Dose ammonia to 2 ppm every evening. When 1 ppm of ammonia is converted to nitrates in 24 hours your cycled, which means you can then add fish and they will live.
I have two fishes now. Which I got like 4 days back. How to cycle the water . I don't have separate tank . Can I change water by 50%? Can I add live rock and sand now ? Fish is there in tank .

Culprit
You don't need a separate tank. If you already have fish I'd suggest getting 15 pounds of quality seasoned live rock from your local fish store along with a bag of live sand. Drain 50% of your water, pour the sand in, then put your live rock in on top of the sand. If you got live rock it will already be cycled.

To cycle your fish tank, with fish in it, get live rock. It will come cycled and your fish will be healthy if its good live rock. Yes you can do a 50% water change, just make sure the tempurature and salinity is the same as your aquarium. Do you know how to test your salinity? Are you topping off with freshwater every day?

sanjay7
You don't need a separate tank. If you already have fish I'd suggest getting 15 pounds of quality seasoned live rock from your local fish store along with a bag of live sand. Drain 50% of your water, pour the sand in, then put your live rock in on top of the sand. If you got live rock it will already be cycled.

To cycle your fish tank, with fish in it, get live rock. It will come cycled and your fish will be healthy if its good live rock. Yes you can do a 50% water change, just make sure the tempurature and salinity is the same as your aquarium. Do you know how to test your salinity? Are you topping off with freshwater every day?
I don't know how to check . I pour fresh water whenever the water level decreases. I have Sansibar rock which is 3.8 pounds. I will get live rock and sand now and add it when I have fish inside?

Culprit
I would take out 50% of the water into buckets, net the fish and put them in one of the buckets, then put the live rock and live sand in. A refractometer is how you check salinity, you can get them off of Amazon for about $20.

sanjay7
I would take out 50% of the water into buckets, net the fish and put them in one of the buckets, then put the live rock and live sand in. A refractometer is how you check salinity, you can get them off of Amazon for about $20.
How long should I keep the live rock and sand in tank ? And when should I put the fish back to tank ? . Won't the tank become foggy after adding sand directly ?

Culprit
The live rock and live sand stays in permenantly. I'd say put your heater in the 5 gal bucket, wait 30 minutes after you've put in the sand and live rock and then put them back in. It'll be a bit foggy for tonight but in the morning it will be clear. The fish will be fine in cloudy water.

sanjay7
The live rock and live sand stays in permenantly. I'd say put your heater in the 5 gal bucket, wait 30 minutes after you've put in the sand and live rock and then put them back in. It'll be a bit foggy for tonight but in the morning it will be clear. The fish will be fine in cloudy water.
Okay . After installing sand and rocks , everything will be fine . Rock and sand will do its work to save the fishes ? . Can I use seachem prime in chlorine water and use it ?

Culprit
Yes, it should be. Yes, dechlorinate the water with seachem prime.

sanjay7
Yes, it should be. Yes, dechlorinate the water with seachem prime.
I got live sand , gonna installed it . I use top filter with ceramic and activate carbon .

I got live sand , gonna installed it . I use top filter with ceramic and activate carbon .
Is my filter Okay ?

Culprit
Yes, just turn it off when you put the sand in and keep it off for about 20 minutes after you finish putting the sand in.

sanjay7
Yes, just turn it off when you put the sand in and keep it off for about 20 minutes after you finish putting the sand in.
Yeah I have done with sand installation

sanjay7
What are the parameters should I consider before buying live rock ? Will it harm my fish if I directly put the rock Inside the tank with fish in it ? I have 60 litres tank . How much should I buy ?

Culprit
Make sure its live and has been in the LFSs tanks for a few weeks at least. No it will not harm the fish. Just make sure not to squash them. Just put it in slowly. You should get about 15 pounds

sanjay7
Make sure its live and has been in the LFSs tanks for a few weeks at least. No it will not harm the fish. Just make sure not to squash them. Just put it in slowly. You should get about 15 pounds
Can you explain "LFSs tank for few weeks "?. Actually at my place live rocks are banneded .so they are getting it from some other place .idk if they have been in their tank

Culprit
Make sure it has been at the fish store for a few weeks in there aquariums. Is the live rock underwater? If so you're good.

sanjay7
Make sure it has been at the fish store for a few weeks in there aquariums. Is the live rock underwater? If so you're good.
I think it's directly from sea

Culprit
That's good then. It will work well.

sanjay7
That's good then. It will work well.
I think one of my fish is falling sick again

Culprit
Do a 50% water change with water the same temperature and salinity. And get the rock in as soon as possible.

sanjay7
Do a 50% water change with water the same temperature and salinity. And get the rock in as soon as possible.
Okay . Minimum is 22 lbs in local store . Can I buy that ?

Dead rock is available instantly. Will it be useful ?

Culprit
You'll be better off with live rock. Yes you can fit 20 pounds in there.

sanjay7
Okay

Coral rock and live rock place different roles?

Culprit
Is the coral rock rock with live corals on it? If so it will be more expensive and you want just live rock. However, if the coral rock is just old dead coral skeletons its just as good as live rock.

sanjay7
Is the coral rock rock with live corals on it? If so it will be more expensive and you want just live rock. However, if the coral rock is just old dead coral skeletons its just as good as live rock.
Couldn't understand

sanjay7
Couldn't understand
My cousin wants to setup a saltwater aquarium in a bowl. Is it possible ?

sanjay7
Can you explain this ?

Culprit
Is the "coral rock" dead coral skeletons? Or is it a piece of rock with live corals on it? If it has live corals on it, it will be far more expensive, and plain live rock will be best.

sanjay7
Is the "coral rock" dead coral skeletons? Or is it a piece of rock with live corals on it? If it has live corals on it, it will be far more expensive, and plain live rock will be best.
My local store guy is telling that we shouldn't keep live rock which is directly from the sea when fish is already in tank. Is he right ?

Culprit
You might have some die off so you'll be better keeping live rock that is from the sea but has been in there tanks for a few weeks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nart
Replies
Views
CHAMELEON_BREEZE
Replies
Views
Slug
Replies
Views