my cleaning crew

1. gremlin

gremlin Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Well, I took a couple pics of my plecos and my cae. They are doing just fine inside so far. The tank is not quite as crystal clear as I would like it to be, but the ammonia stays at barely a trace, so they're doing just fine. The pond temp this morning was 52 degrees farenheit.

* * * This tank is overstocked - it is a temporary measure to prevent the fish in question from freezing in their normal habitat, an outdoor pond. Please do not try this at home. :;tg * * *

Attached Files:

2. Tony G.

Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +20
    aww! i love them :) they are so cute LOL

3. speed0factory

speed0factory Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wow quite a big one haha :)

4. callichma

callichma Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I think that will be my project for the spring--a pond.

5. Omgami

Omgami Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I feel so lucky because our local irragation district is helping to restore fish to a creek that runs through my yard. They are redirecting the creek and putting in a pond. I've always wanted a pond and now I'm getting one! I won't really be able to stock the fish in the pond however I will really enjoy them and probably feed them. I'm wondering if plecos are native to my area!

6. OP
    OP
    gremlin

Ratings:
    +81
    The plecos need the water to stay above 70 degrees farenheit. That's why I bring in my 2 plecos and my cae in the winter. They are kind of hard to see, but there are also three cories in there. The cories and the cae do a good job eating all my pond snails.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Hello Gremlin. Your Pleco and CAE are both just beautiful! Great photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Ken

8. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Wow, Gremlin, they're beautiful!

Once again, you've taken a great pic on how big certain fish (plecos) can get.

9. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +9
    wow, that is one big pleco, how long is he or she or it

10. OP
    OP
    gremlin

Ratings:
    +81
    It is actually two different plecos. One is 10 1/2 inches long and the other is 11 inches long. This is only their second winter. They were both about 1/2 inch long when I bought them June 18, 2008.

Baby pic!

Attached Files:

11. Amanda

Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +29
    MY GOD! They got HUGE!

12. OP
    OP
    gremlin

Ratings:
    +81
    . . . and it didn't take very long either!

13. ErinM

ErinM Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How do you get the plecos out of the pond? I have one thats about a foot, just under, and I'm sure he would jump right out of my net if I tried. Mine's a bit skiddish though...I'm not sure if thats a pleco trait (this is my first) or not, but he does not like it at all when I try to scoop out the other fishies! :p

14. OP
    OP
    gremlin

Ratings:
    +81
    I do a good clean out of my pond at the end of the summer. Pump most of the water out leaving about 4-6 inches in the bottom of the pond. The fish are all still in it, but it is a much smaller area and there is no where for them to hide. It gives me a chance to do a real good "gravel vac" (even though there is no gravel) and a good water change. I only do that type of a clean out maybe twice a year. If we have a bad dust storm or something, I will sometimes have to do another good clean out, but usually twice a year is enough. I clean it out again in the spring just before I put my cleaning crew back out. Then I use my pond skimmer net. It has a very fine mesh and is wide, but has a fairly shallow depth. The plecos can sit in it without their fins getting caught in it. Then I just lift them from the net to the bucket with my hands. I move most of my fish just by picking them up with my hands.

This last time, I caught one of the plecos, the cae, and all three cories, but I could not find the second pleco. It was about 25-30 minutes that I spent catching the others and looking around after the water was all drained. I finally took the hose and squirted off the shelves and around the rocks. Swich Plop - that's where the second pleco was hiding. Out of the water for at least 40-45 minutes up on the shelf behind the rocks. Plecos are such amazing fish. Every one I show my plecos to says they look ugly - all rough and prehistoric looking. I like them. I think they look cool, and the way their skin feels reminds me of a wet lizard.

Here are a couple pics of this last Spring cleaning. The pond is done and the water is starting to fill up again.

Attached Files:

15. ErinM

ErinM Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think plecos are gorgeous :) I love them. Mine has a cool maze pattern.

16. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Hello Gremlin. Your pond is beautiful!
    Ken