my cleaning crew

1. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Well, I took a couple pics of my plecos and my cae. They are doing just fine inside so far. The tank is not quite as crystal clear as I would like it to be, but the ammonia stays at barely a trace, so they're doing just fine. The pond temp this morning was 52 degrees farenheit.

* * * This tank is overstocked - it is a temporary measure to prevent the fish in question from freezing in their normal habitat, an outdoor pond. Please do not try this at home. :;tg * * *

Attached Files:

2. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

aww! i love them :) they are so cute LOL

3. speed0factory Member Member

wow quite a big one haha :)

4. callichma Well Known Member Member

I think that will be my project for the spring--a pond.

5. Omgami Member Member

I feel so lucky because our local irragation district is helping to restore fish to a creek that runs through my yard. They are redirecting the creek and putting in a pond. I've always wanted a pond and now I'm getting one! I won't really be able to stock the fish in the pond however I will really enjoy them and probably feed them. I'm wondering if plecos are native to my area!

6. gremlin Well Known Member Member

The plecos need the water to stay above 70 degrees farenheit. That's why I bring in my 2 plecos and my cae in the winter. They are kind of hard to see, but there are also three cories in there. The cories and the cae do a good job eating all my pond snails.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Gremlin. Your Pleco and CAE are both just beautiful! Great photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Ken

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, Gremlin, they're beautiful!

Once again, you've taken a great pic on how big certain fish (plecos) can get.

9. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

wow, that is one big pleco, how long is he or she or it

10. gremlin Well Known Member Member

It is actually two different plecos. One is 10 1/2 inches long and the other is 11 inches long. This is only their second winter. They were both about 1/2 inch long when I bought them June 18, 2008.

Baby pic!

Attached Files:

11. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

MY GOD! They got HUGE!

12. gremlin Well Known Member Member

. . . and it didn't take very long either!

13. ErinM Member Member

How do you get the plecos out of the pond? I have one thats about a foot, just under, and I'm sure he would jump right out of my net if I tried. Mine's a bit skiddish though...I'm not sure if thats a pleco trait (this is my first) or not, but he does not like it at all when I try to scoop out the other fishies! :p

14. gremlin Well Known Member Member

I do a good clean out of my pond at the end of the summer. Pump most of the water out leaving about 4-6 inches in the bottom of the pond. The fish are all still in it, but it is a much smaller area and there is no where for them to hide. It gives me a chance to do a real good "gravel vac" (even though there is no gravel) and a good water change. I only do that type of a clean out maybe twice a year. If we have a bad dust storm or something, I will sometimes have to do another good clean out, but usually twice a year is enough. I clean it out again in the spring just before I put my cleaning crew back out. Then I use my pond skimmer net. It has a very fine mesh and is wide, but has a fairly shallow depth. The plecos can sit in it without their fins getting caught in it. Then I just lift them from the net to the bucket with my hands. I move most of my fish just by picking them up with my hands.

This last time, I caught one of the plecos, the cae, and all three cories, but I could not find the second pleco. It was about 25-30 minutes that I spent catching the others and looking around after the water was all drained. I finally took the hose and squirted off the shelves and around the rocks. Swich Plop - that's where the second pleco was hiding. Out of the water for at least 40-45 minutes up on the shelf behind the rocks. Plecos are such amazing fish. Every one I show my plecos to says they look ugly - all rough and prehistoric looking. I like them. I think they look cool, and the way their skin feels reminds me of a wet lizard.

Here are a couple pics of this last Spring cleaning. The pond is done and the water is starting to fill up again.

Attached Files:

15. ErinM Member Member

I think plecos are gorgeous :) I love them. Mine has a cool maze pattern.

16. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Gremlin. Your pond is beautiful!
    Ken