My City Is Under Boil Water Advisory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldFort Exotics, Apr 21, 2017.

1. OldFort Exotics

OldFort ExoticsValued MemberMember

Just heard on the radio my city is on a Boil Water Advisory until they say other wise. They aren't saying what they fear is in the water but the main pumps lost pressure when we lost power for a few seconds this morning, so they are worried. We are to bring water to a rolling boil for 5 mins if we want to cook with it, brush our teeth, drink or wash dishes. They said it is safe to bath in.... yeah not sure I like that idea.

I know I shouldn't fuss it could be much worse, my local water gets pretty stinky about twice a year but this is the first time they said to boil it. I know they are working on it so it should be fine in a day or so. Already talked to my wife and we are getting paper plates so we don't have to wash dishes and will pick up a few cases of water for use and the pets. The biggest issue will be water changes in my fish room, I normally do changes Sat morning but this will change things. I will push them off until first of the week, not worth risking the health of the fish.

Anyone else had to deal with these?

2. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Buy RO water at the grocery store. Been there and done that.

3. OP
    OP
    OldFort Exotics

RO water for water changes or for house hold use?

For water changes isn't a option too many gallons to buy and carry. Most of my tanks are lightly stocked and large weekly water changes means if I have to delay it for a few days it won't hurt anything. I'm betting they will pump in the chlorine for the next week too so I will have to add more prime.

4. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

EPA mandates boil water notices when the pressure drops too low for a period of time. Once the chlorine levels return to normal they will discontinue the notice. I wouldn't do water changes this weekend, after that it should be back to whatever quality it normally runs at. I also wouldn't expect chlorine levels to be abnormally high either.

5. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I would skip the water change till next week or until the boil water notice is over.

Last year my city went through it after somebody decided to pee in the water. I went to a grocery store to get some stuff and saw a lady hording cases of water and asking for more. Got me thinking...how hard is it to really boil water?

6. OP
    OP
    OldFort Exotics

Doing some checking it does look like the advisory was just to be safe. They lifted the band Sat evening so we gave it a few hours for water the pass thru the main lines so we knew we have "New" water at the house and watered out yard (new grass growing) to make sure the pipes in our house where flushed also. I did wait until this morning to do my first water change and it was very hard to not to do them this weekend. I played video games with my kids most of the day sat so I wouldn't be in the fish room temped to do changes.

Tonight I will knock out a few more tanks but it will take a few days to get caught up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice