Help My Cichlid Won’t Stop Hiding

CrazedHoosier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Last fall I purchased a couple laetacara curviceps. I lost one to a swim bladder related illness earlier this year, and now I’m having trouble with my second. He was the most dominant fish in the tank, but it seems like almost overnight it all changed. It is now rare to find him swimming in the open water, and a lot of times he skips meals. I previously thought he had gotten into a fight with my female Bolivian ram and lost, but I removed the ram and he’s still hiding. Not sure if it’s a sickness, as the other fish are all fine, but he is emaciated now. His hiding started a month ago, so if it was a illness, wouldn’t it have spread to the other fish by now?

Other aquarium inhabitants: pearl gourami (x3), honey gourami (x3), thick-lipped gourami (x1), bronze corydora (x6), bristlenose pleco (x1)

Parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate are all 0 ppm

Tank temp: 76-78 depending on the day

Madchild57

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CrazedHoosier said:
Last fall I purchased a couple laetacara curviceps. I lost one to a swim bladder related illness earlier this year, and now I’m having trouble with my second. He was the most dominant fish in the tank, but it seems like almost overnight it all changed. It is now rare to find him swimming in the open water, and a lot of times he skips meals. I previously thought he had gotten into a fight with my female Bolivian ram and lost, but I removed the ram and he’s still hiding. Not sure if it’s a sickness, as the other fish are all fine, but he is emaciated now. His hiding started a month ago, so if it was a illness, wouldn’t it have spread to the other fish by now?

Other aquarium inhabitants: pearl gourami (x3), honey gourami (x3), thick-lipped gourami (x1), bronze corydora (x6), bristlenose pleco (x1)

Parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate are all 0 ppm

Tank temp: 76-78 depending on the day
It may just be something wrong with the fish. I've heard stories of cichlids, especially dwarf ones, going strong for a few months and then suddenly getting sick and dying. It happened to me with my GBR, one day good and eating, the next dead. I read it's because they're raised with antibiotics so eventually they get overwhelmed with tank bacteria. Just something to consider.

OP
CrazedHoosier

CrazedHoosier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Madchild57 said:
It may just be something wrong with the fish. I've heard stories of cichlids, especially dwarf ones, going strong for a few months and then suddenly getting sick and dying. It happened to me with my GBR, one day good and eating, the next dead. I read it's because they're raised with antibiotics so eventually they get overwhelmed with tank bacteria. Just something to consider.
I’ve heard about that happening with GBRs, but really hoped the curviceps would be hardier. They are indeed proving otherwise so far, though.

I dosed the tank with an antibiotic and anti-parasitic for now.

Madchild57

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CrazedHoosier said:
I’ve heard about that happening with GBRs, but really hoped the curviceps would be hardier. They are indeed proving otherwise so far, though.

I dosed the tank with an antibiotic and anti-parasitic for now.
If its not spreading to the others, it's either something the cichlid got from being stressed that the others can handle or something non infectous.

OP
CrazedHoosier

CrazedHoosier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, I hope he doesn’t end up like the other curviceps. That swim bladder issue was so awful to see progress, and I eventually had to put the curv down.

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i have had the same problem. I am pretty sure mine are L. Dorsigera but a very similar fish. I thought I had a pair, but they just chased each other, so I moved one to my 75, which helped the one that moved, but the one that's left behind has dug a pit in the back of the tank and stays in it or under a rock all day. She only comes out when the tank lights are off, and acts stressed all the time. It's a mystery. I am sorry I don't have help to offer, only commiseration....

New Threads