My cichlid doesn't eat

catfish73

my cichlid normaly loves eating but every now and then she stops eating and her face gets deformed and it looks like theres stuff in her mouth, she still shows interest if the food and goes up to it but doesnt eat it, this has happened a couple times now and she's been fine but i'd like to know whats happening

TClare

She must be holding eggs. Do you have a male? If not they are infertile, I suppose she wou,d swallow them or spit them out eventually. If you do maybe she did not care for the fry, or she released them and they were eaten by other fish?

Upvote 0

catfish73

Must be holding eggs.
she's the only one in there, and why does it happen so often

Upvote 0

TClare

but how? she's the only one in there, and why does it happen so often
Right, I just edited my post to explain, she must be in breeding condition and the eggs are infertile. I don't have any personal experience breeding African cichlids, someone else might know more.

Upvote 0

catfish73

Right, I just edited my post to explain, she must be in breeding condition and the eggs are infertile. I don't have any personal experience breeding African cichlids, someone else might know more.
ok thanks, i always suspected that that might be the case just i never thought it would happen so often, and she likes to dig the substrate with her mouth so i thought that maybe somtimes it gets stuck in her mouth or it hurts her mouth

Upvote 0

Broggy

yes, they hold eggs in their mouth until they hatch. with out a male in there, I have absolutely no idea how she managed to do that. she may have somehow done it to relieve the egg buildup in her body.

Upvote 0

catfish73

yes, they hold eggs in their mouth until they hatch. with out a male in there, I have absolutely no idea how she managed to do that. she may have somehow done it to relieve the egg buildup in her body.
ok thanks, just wanted to make sure that it wasnt anything serious

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
ginkgomw
  • Question
Replies