Funny My Chunky Angels & Discus 4]

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My fish have tremendous appetites. all they do is beg from me first thing in the morning to when I go to bed. They got mad at me today & ate my plant leaves completely because I wouldn’t feed them again this afternoon, or either they’ve been on too much protein.
Today’s menu: tetra flake food/tetra granular, then Hikari vibrabites, later frozen bloodworms & brine shrimp, later Hikari vibrabites. About 3-4 times a day their fed.
I also have discus flakes, tubifex worms, shrimp pellets & algae wafers etc. They eat anything I give them except the bloodworms they like the least.
What do you feed your fish? And what have you found they really like?
IMG_2387.JPG

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All of you have very lucky fish. My poor Cichlids & Loaches are fed only Omega One small grain sinking cichlid pellets & Cichlid flakes. Lol.
I'd skip the Tubifex worms. Too many diseases associated with it. Btw, nice looking Angel.

Thank you. Lol, I’m old school, if it ain’t broken, then I don’t fix it. So, I do fed the omega one freeze dried tubifex worms, and they love them. Personally, I feel like people eat worse foods than our pets with diseases & chemicals.
I haven’t had any problems using tubifex for several years now, b4 the angels & discus. It’s a personal preference of each person, just like with what people eat.
Mines fight over the shrimp pellets & wafers. They don’t like the discus flakes/bloodworms so much & they all love the Hikari vibrabites, tetra granular & flake, brine shrimp.
My fish are really thriving, eat & beg like crazy, I do preventative treatment, no ones been sickly(knock on wood) & I will have to move them to bigger tank next year. Because they just constantly eat their & Im constantly vacuuming the bottom to keep it clean as I can.
I was wondering if theirs any other foods out there that they would enjoy. I try to fed them a variety of foods, to keep them healthy & so they won’t get bored with one food.

IMG_2386.JPG

IMG_2384.JPG

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are obviously doing a great job managing your tank. The Discus looks really healthy, and that's not always easy to do.
You might try the Omega One small grain sinking cichlid pellets. My fish tear it up.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are obviously doing a great job managing your tank. The Discus looks really healthy, and that's not always easy to do.
You might try the Omega One small grain sinking cichlid pellets. My fish tear it up.
Adding the discus to the angel tank made it a little more work(cleaning), but they all get along, and the discus thrive with the angels. I think the angels stimulate the discus. My angel tank was already set up for angels, GBR or discus as my water parameters for those species are almost the same. All my discus & angels are chunky around the middle like that & I’m keep them that way even if they like the tetra foods. IMO Omega one makes good products. They like omega one foods too, but it’s weird, I’ve never had a fish yet refuse tetra food products, maybe it’s kinda like McDonald’s to them I guess. I’m try the cichlid pellets as you suggested, Thank you very much.

IMG_2401.JPG

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My giant Red Texas Cichlid really likes Tetra Floating Cichlid pellets. He is very colorful & thick. I have a good sized Venustus cichlid in with him, same thing, pretty colors & thick. I agree, Tetra is probably the "Fast foods" of the fish food industry.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My giant Red Texas Cichlid really likes Tetra Floating Cichlid pellets. He is very colorful & thick. I have a good sized Venustus cichlid in with him, same thing, pretty colors & thick. I agree, Tetra is probably the "Fast foods" of the fish food industry.
Hi
But hey, they eat up the tetra stuff though. Do you have photo of your red Texas cichlid? I
haven’t came across one yet in the pet store- or I seen it & thought is was something else.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll try to post a pic. Since this computer glitch, I have not been able to post any. Sorry, no luck. I tried several times.

Lol. It posted.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He’s really pretty. He’s a big boy! I’ve always loved the big cichlids when I had them years ago, Red Devils, oscars, green terrors, etc. Now do the Red Texas cichlids come in different colors?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Red Texas is classified as "Unfaded". A very small percentage of Red Texas Cichlids are "Faders". Those start colored like mine but darken as they mature. At some point the dark pigmentation peels away, leaving red pearling
with white edging. The Reds are very expensive.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He’s going to be very pretty then as he gets older. He’s very nice . I’m research him because that’s a newer one to me. I’ve seen Texas cichlids before, but not the Red Texas cichlid. Ive always loved the big cichlids, but I don’t have the space for the large tanks they require at this time☹.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My angels & discus finally stopped leaving the bloodworms @ bottom of tank. They are eating them now, probably because I was giving them mostly flakes, fake wormy bites, and granulated food. I think it keeps my tank cleaner. But I’ve been giving frozen foods at least once a day now. And I ordered freeze dried brine shrimp with some medicated food I bought. Their all still kinda chunky, have little bellies.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom