my cherry barbs are acting strange.

1. gillman Initiate Member

My tank has been set up a couple of years and i have been through many different types of fish. i currently have a couple cherry barbs, some neon tetras, and a red fish that i forgot the name of. just recently one lone cherry barb started growing pale and got this big patch of black and white scales. then it only occasionally it would use its fins to swim. finally it would lay down randomly on a plant or rock and sit there for a long time. it is still doing this now and for some reason out of no where it turned a very bright red. all the other fish are acting normal. oh and earlier it looked as if it was protecting something. possibly eggs? can anyone tell me what might be going on?

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    Could you give us some information on your aquarium please. Size? Ammonia reading?, Nitrite reading?, Nitrate reading?. Water change schedule.
    Sorry for the questions but the answers will help us help you.
    Again Welcome!
    Carol

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Usually if a fish is acting that strange there is something wrong, your water parameters will help us rule out alot of things so that we can really get to the root of the problem. Also filling out your aquarium info will aid in help as well as we will get valuable knowladge of your tank size and equipment.