My Chemistry - General Hardness Question

1. Maida_gc Member Member

Here is my initial chemistry, if you see something off let me know.

Tap Water Chlorine 2-3PPM - reacts well with dechlorinizers - 0PPM in my tank
    Tap Water Amonnia - 0PPM
    Tap Water PH - 7.4 - Slightly Akaline - Seems stable, need to research what this means for fish keeping in a community tank.
    Tap Water KH (Carbonite Hardness) 4/5 drops, which means 71.6-89.5 PPM/KH - book says this is a good# for a variety of fish and should maintain a stable PH
    Tab GH (General Hardenss) I can't get a reading. I add 50 drops and it just keeps getting oranger (nice word!!!) and oranger. My conclusion is my water is really soft, but I don't know if this is a good thing or bad.

My Question would be, how does everything look from an initial test standpoint. And how does Hard Water / Soft Water effect your fish.

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Everything looks good to me.
    As far as hard/soft water goes; some fish originally come from hard water areas and some come from soft water areas but generally speaking most fish are captive bred now and can be acclimized to just about and hardness or softness or pH. Now if your going to breed them some fish require certain hardnesses or softness or pH for their eggs to hatch.
    As far as I can tell you should be able to have just about any community fish you want.
    Hope that helps.
    Carol

3. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Don't worry about your water. The pH is fine for pretty much any fish, and hardness doesn't matter that much. Remember that the lfs probably has the same water chemistry as you, so the fish are already used to it.