My catfish lived for 5 hours out of water

ok thi is my second time writing this because i kicked my power cord out of the wall.
short story is i have a mystery catfish i got on Facebook. hes black and yellow. right before i left i took a decoration out of my tank because all the fish were in it 24/7. i double checked that no fish where in it. i left for 5 hours. when i got home i went to put the decoration in the shed. when i pulled it up there was the catfish! his body was still wet so i touched him with some paper towels to move him. he moved! i stuck him in the tank and now he's fine. we were gone for 5 hours! also i just figured out that its called a Striped Raphael catfish. let me know any other crazy stories you have.

My crazy stories don't have good endings. Found a pleco that jumped from a tank and was laying on the carpet, completely dried out. More recently i found a nerite on it's back on my wood floor. No clue how long it was there, but i know it was a good 4 ft fall from it's tank.

ok thi is my second time writing this because i kicked my power cord out of the wall.
short story is i have a mystery catfish i got on Facebook. hes black and yellow. right before i left i took a decoration out of my tank because all the fish were in it 24/7. i double checked that no fish where in it. i left for 5 hours. when i got home i went to put the decoration in the shed. when i pulled it up there was the catfish! his body was still wet so i touched him with some paper towels to move him. he moved! i stuck him in the tank and now he's fine. we were gone for 5 hours! also i just figured out that its called a Striped Raphael catfish. let me know any other crazy stories you have.
That's crazy!

My crazy stories don't have good endings. Found a pleco that jumped from a tank and was laying on the carpet, completely dried out. More recently i found a nerite on it's back on my wood floor. No clue how long it was there, but i know it was a good 4 ft fall from it's tank.
oh... thats no good

60 gallon tank aquarium on a 3 for stand. Had a sailfin mollie jump out right after I fed the tank. I walked across the room to feed the cichlids came back and stepped over it without knowing closed the lid went in the kitchen to start the morning coffee and came back and said what the heck!? And why?

That’s crazy! My story is short and sweet. I removed a plant and an hour later I forgot to throw it away and found 20 dead shrimp on it. Oh well

60 gallon tank aquarium on a 3 for stand. Had a sailfin mollie jump out right after I fed the tank. I walked across the room to feed the cichlids came back and stepped over it without knowing closed the lid went in the kitchen to start the morning coffee and came back and said what the heck!? And why?
wow thats crazy!!
ok i just remembered another one so recently i purchased a breeder box put my pregnant guppy in there and went to bed. when i woke up there was a neon that jumped in the box.
not nearly as crazy but it did happen

@kamdyn
that is a cool story! Since it ended happy.

I was thinking of getting a black helmet nerite... Do they actually leave the water? I do have a lid on mine but there are 2 smallish holes at the very top of the tank for the cables and light attachment and wondering if they will go off for wander like yours!

Several species of catfish have the ability to use atmospheric air for some time and I expect this Raphael to have that same ability.

This ability is used in low oxygen-environments or even in places that will dry up slowly and it gives them the possibility to migrate to another puddle or so.

My crazy fish story was about 38 or more years ago when I worked in a LFS and still had a saltwater tank. I had ordered a Naso Tang in a shipment and was taking him home directly from the store in the large shipping bag. Put the bag on the back seat of the car.

On the way home a less-than-gentle stop caused the bag to roll off the seat and onto the floor. The Naso, seeing daylight and, none too happy, thrashed about and I discovered first hand why they are also known as surgeonfish. He slashed open the bag, a wash of water hit my feet and I drove as fast as I could safely manage to get him home.

Once home, I grabbed the flopping fish, ran into the house and down into the basement where my tank was and tossed him in. He lived for several years afterwards, but I don’t recommend it as a means of acclimation.

Mine was a pleco fry. Some had managed to get in the filter on their tank. I siphoned them out and back into the tank. Several days later I used the same siphon to do a water change on my shrimp bowl. I looked in the wastewater container for shrimplets and much to my surprise there was a tiny pleco in there. Little guy was alive and well. I kept it separated from its siblings for well over a month so I could keep an eye on it. I was amazed that it survived that length of time in the piece of tubing. I wouldn't have thought it possible. There must have been just enough water left in there to keep the little guy wet.

After this I just poured them back out of the filter each time they got back in there. Finally I lowered the water level in their tank to prevent them climbing into the filter.

CHJ

Scabs started his life with us in an unpleasant way.
We were in the middle of nowhere at a friends wedding and my wife caught a baby bullhead.
It ended up in a small foam cup as she wanted to keep it.
Well long after she passed out I went to bed and at some point heard a splash.
well in the morning I found her bullhead all dried out on the floor. So I picked it up and pitched it back in the cup.
When the crispy fish rehydrated it came back to life. and so we owned it for half a year until her refusal to clean its tank killed it. 6" fish in 2.5 gal tanks is a challenge.

Scabs started his life with us in an unpleasant way.
We were in the middle of nowhere at a friends wedding and my wife caught a baby bullhead.
It ended up in a small foam cup as she wanted to keep it.
Well long after she passed out I went to bed and at some point heard a splash.
well in the morning I found her bullhead all dried out on the floor. So I picked it up and pitched it back in the cup.
When the crispy fish rehydrated it came back to life. and so we owned it for half a year until her refusal to clean its tank killed it. 6" fish in 2.5 gal tanks is a challenge.
that didnt end well :/

Top Bottom