My Catfish Is “dead” Question

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Guppy43, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Guppy43Valued MemberMember

So last year I lost a striped raphael talking catfish and in my grief I bought another “talking catfish” around 8cm. It mat black with white spots but as it grew it got weird.
    Long story short, its now black with blotches of white and it just lies around like its dead. But its alive as during feeding time, he can be seen foraging for food on the floor.

Did I do something wrong to it?

2. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

I doubt it. Pictures could help but I have two Raphael catfish and I think they are dead all the time. One will sleep face up kind of like doing a handstand in weird places and the other one will cram himself in the smallest space he can find. I very rarely see them swim around. If I do it’s only the stripped one.

3. zby67Valued MemberMember

i had a pictus catfish that only came out at night.... else it hid. at night he would swim to the top of the tank and back down over and over... dunno why lol... moral of the story we dont know why catfish do what they do lol

4. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

Yeah. Catfish are weird.

5. Guppy43Valued MemberMember

I’ll try to get pictures tonight but yea, it looks like a rotting corpse

6. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

Lol!! Yup my spotted one looks like that!

7. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

Geez. Can't these fish just take it easy on us and be normal for once?

8. Guppy43Valued MemberMember

Where did we go wrong raising these lazy bums

I know right

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2019
  9. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Pictus need to be in a group, that will be why yours hid. Social fish on their own never behave normally.

Raphaels and talking cats are some of the most nocturnal and secretive cats out there. You’re lucky if you see them a few times a year. I don’t really know why people keep them tbh.
    @Guppy43 do you have a picture of your cat?

10. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

I agree about not knowing why people own them unless they are like me and thought they were unique and didn’t do my research. I will never get one again. I feel they just eat and poop and you don’t get enjoyment out of them because they don’t move when lights are on.