My Cardinal Tetra's Are Disappearing

RWStaub

Reaction score
Hello all - looking forward to getting into more discussions in this community!

Here's my issue. Over the past several days I have been losing around 2 cardinal tetra's a day with no sign of the remains. I had 15 over the weekend and was down to 10 as of last night. I use an intake sponge on my HOB so they are not getting sucked into anything. The only other inhabitants of the tank are 2 Rufa Garra (red garra's) and 3 amano shrimps. My suspicion is that the rufa garra are taking them out in the night. Has anyone had any issues with this in the past?

Honestly, I didn't even figure out they were Rufa Garra's until last night. They were sold to me as Panda garra's at a LFS, but I started doing more research last night when 2 more cardinals went missing and the garra's color had never come in (figured they might have been juvies and their color came later). Not the case.

Any experience with these fish? They are extremely active and eating all the time. They dominate the eating to the point where I'm not sure my cardinals end up getting that much of it. Let me know your thoughts on how I proceed, perhaps this is just a bad community tank match and I need to re-home. I'm planning on getting a breeder tank to separate them and if my fish stop disappearing I'll know that was the issue.

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had a discus that would eat smaller cardinal at night. Never found remnants....

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore! I hope you find the site helpful and enjoyable.

watermelon46

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Here's my issue. Over the past several days I have been losing around 2 cardinal tetra's a day with no sign of the remains. I had 15 over the weekend and was down to 10 as of last night. I use an intake sponge on my HOB so they are not getting sucked into anything. The only other inhabitants of the tank are 2 Rufa Garra (red garra's) and 3 amano shrimps. My suspicion is that the rufa garra are taking them out in the night. Has anyone had any issues with this in the past?

Honestly, I didn't even figure out they were Rufa Garra's until last night. They were sold to me as Panda garra's at a LFS, but I started doing more research last night when 2 more cardinals went missing and the garra's color had never come in (figured they might have been juvies and their color came later). Not the case.

Any experience with these fish? They are extremely active and eating all the time. They dominate the eating to the point where I'm not sure my cardinals end up getting that much of it. Let me know your thoughts on how I proceed, perhaps this is just a bad community tank match and I need to re-home. I'm planning on getting a breeder tank to separate them and if my fish stop disappearing I'll know that was the issue.
That's funny. I thought panda Garras/ rufa Garras were supposed to be peaceful. Have you checked the numbers real close, making sure you counted it right? Sometimes with numbers over ten, it's hard to tell if you've counted one before. Also if it's heavily planted or with lots of decorations you could have missed the remains/body and it could have just died for other reasons. Or maybe it did die for other reasons but the rufa Garras ate it when it fell down to the bottom.
Otherwise... Hm. Tetras don't really jump, so that shouldn't be an issue. So I guess there's a mystery case going on in your tank
Good luck

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tetras do jump, quite readily if they are being chased by something else. Are there any gaps in the cover that they could go through? If they are dying from some other cause, I have no doubt that the other fish and shrimp would clean up the bodies before daylight.

RWStaub

Reaction score
Yes, checking the numbers real close. I thought that they were peaceful as well. I've been watching really close and I can definitely see the garra harassing the tetras non stop. I flipped on the light this morning and all my Cardinals looked colorless and stressed. I'm not sure if they will kill them directly but I think they are harassing them to death and then eating them. The garras eat non stop so I'm going to over feed them and see if that makes them leave the Cardinals alone until I figure out what to do. I don't think Panda garras do this. Thanks for the thoughts!

watermelon46

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you have another tank you could possibly transfer the garras to? Sounds like the cardinals are really taking a beating

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

If they are hungry, they may very well be stalking your tetras at night. What do you feed them? Omega One makes a good shrimp/ fish/ algae/ spirulina bottom feeder disk. You might think of dropping a few of those in your tank at night and see if your tetra disappearances stop. After all, who wants to go hunt for dinner when you have room service!

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How old is your tank ? Cardinal tetras are sturdy but they need a well established tank. They’re not good « first fish ».

They might have died and your garras ate them.

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Do you have snails at all? I have to s of ramshorns and they can devour a small fish in a matter of hours. No remains.

RWStaub

Reaction score
No snails, just the cardinals, garras, and shrimp. I have a breeder box coming tonight that I will seperate one of the parties in to see if that clears up the issue and have been feeding a lot more algae wafers to try to keep the garra's busy. I suppose it could be just the cardinals dying as I know they are a bit finnicky, but my water parameters are good and they seem to be in good health and colored up real nice when not being harassed. Thanks for the help all, definitely some good points.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 58 64.4%

Top Bottom