My Bristlenose Is Chasing My Clown Pleco

NLindsey921
I have a juvenile male bristlenose pleco, an albino bristlenose pleco of unknown gender and a clown pleco of unknown gender. They are all juveniles. My bn pleco has recently taken to chasing my clown pleco around the tank if he wanders to close to him. What is the cause for this and how do I fix it?

natipatixdxp
my platies do that too can you help me too ?

Junne
It could be the "male" dominance thing and if they are competing for food. Does this occur more often at feeding time? ALL of my male pleco's in my tank chase other fish around the tank if they get too close to what they presume is "their" food.
If that's the case, you could feed on opposite sides of the tank and also provide lots of hiding spaces.

Thunder_o_b
My understanding is that you do not keep more than one plec in an aquarium. Unless you know you have a male and female and want to breed them.

Junne
My understanding is that you do not keep more than one plec in an aquarium. Unless you know you have a male and female and want to breed them.

Oh wow! Then I broke ALL the rules as I have 5 males in one tank - out of them, probably the 2 oldest are the ones who think that the tank is THEIR domain and chase others when its feeding time. Otherwise they are fine amongst themselves

NLindsey921
It happens more often when there is no food in the tank.

Demeter
What size is the tank and how heavily decorated is it? Can you provide a picture of the main tank?

Male BN will chase away other fish, especially fellow bottom feeders. I've got a m/f pair in a 29gal along with a juvenile and the male will occasionally go after the female but not to the point where he is stressing her out.

Oliver T.
I've never heard of an aggressive Pleco. Can they really do any damage to another fish?

NLindsey921
It's a 29 gallon
ccd9a8d65259268607729fc1dc40564a.jpg

NLindsey921
I have separated the two. The clown pleco is now temporarily in my ten gallon tank.

Demeter
It was probably a good idea to separate them. The male BN I was refering to in my previous post used to be a complete jerk to the corydoras when he was in a 36gal bowfront. The more corries were constantly in hiding and being bullied away from their food. Now that he's in the 29gal (w/o corries) he's been much more docile.

NLindsey921
There is currently no drift wood in the ten because I was still setting it up. Will he be ok for 2 days until my driftwood arrives or should I move a small piece from my 29 gal over.

Junne
I think if you provide more plants and or caves to hide in they will probably be fine.

NLindsey921
I think if you provide more plants and or caves to hide in they will probably be fine.
Some of the plants are still new so they still need to grow out. What plants would you suggest though that won't make the tank too crowded? And will grow fast enough to provide adequate cover so I can put my clown back in?

I also have some windelov java fern in there that melted back and has just started to grow on the driftwood on the right side of the tank.

NLindsey921
I added driftwood to the ten gallon that the clown is currently in. I know the ten is too small so what would y'all suggest I do to the 29 to make it so I can put him back in it? What plants do y'all suggest?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
gingerrr43
Top Bottom