my breeding pair

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by joshua 74, Apr 6, 2010.

1. joshua 74

joshua 74 Valued Member Member

hey all i now have my own proven breeding pair of discus there are pics on my profile im still not shore how 2 make then go on here it just wont work 4 me lol so if u can look there. at the moment my pair are in a community tank but i have a 100L tank waiting to be set up can some1 tell me what all the levels in the water need to be.and discus grow faster in slightly acidic how do i make my water acidic.

2. taffy

taffy New Member Member

hi, ph 6.5 to 7.0 ammo 0. nitrite 0. nitrate 0. water hasnt alot to do with growth really but you do want the best water you can achieve but i find a good beefheart bloodworm chopped earthworms and a veriety of good frozen foods you cant really go rong check at your lfs ive got my own mix if you want try beefheart 500gr , 100gr white fish, 100gr mussles, 2 tsp powdered garlic maybe 1 tsp if they havent had garlic before and some baby spinich and 1 banana grind it all together and watch them wolf it down cheque my pics out good luck taffy;)

3. OP
    OP
    joshua 74

like mash up in2 a past iv never made my own food b4.should i be worried that my large discus 26 od cm eats a lot less then the others

4. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Pair looks good. Some nice turqs there.

Yes beefheart is usually made into a paste then frozen and cut into cubes or chunks...whatever you want to feed. But be aware, beefheart makes the water get nasty FAST. So you gotta really be on top of water changes if you use it.

5. OP
    OP
    joshua 74

yea i do lots of water changes there is so much discus can eat i had no idea. yea i was amazed how much the color came out onces i got them in good quality water the male is the smaller 1 of the pair but he is growing and i think in 6months he will be az big if not bigger then the female but what do u no about the black stripes threw them i read in a book that the stripes threw a turqe discus tell u the quality and how healthy they are i have noticed that the black stripes fade sometimes and come back really strong black at other times. hope that made scene

6. dvc_r

dvc_r Valued Member Member

I freeze my beefhearts in a ziplock bag and freeze it. This way it's very thin and I break off into small pieces. It also thaws out almost instantly when you put it into the water.

7. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

I do that too. But it goes into the bag as a paste. ;) Also I freeze it enough to hold it together then cut it up and put it back in the freezer to freeze it more. Breaking pieces off is good, but you don't always get clean breaks and portions will be off. Precutting or cubing allows portions to always be pretty accurate.

8. OP
    OP
    joshua 74

how hard is it 2 keep baby discus around the size of a 50 cent peace.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice