My Breeder Visit exp wow!

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow just Wow so cool if you ever get the chance do it,

Bought five beautiful fish 2 red turks, 1 regular turk, 1 Royal Blue, and I believe is was a red snakeskin or Blue I was so tired I forget.

I bought from a place called Gwynnbrooks farms very nice fish room and I gotta tell you first time I ever seen discus full grown up close and personal holly you know what!! the size of dinner plates!! and aout 3 inches thick or whatever but huge beatuiful, I got to see the parents of my discus and man they sure change there looks as they grow dont they? But they look nice at any age especially when larger.

I explained to the older man everything and all in all he feels I should be fine gave me sugestions for ater changes he think 40% weekly should be all I need to do with clean up in between if any left over food or poop remains in the tank aftwer wards he spent a good 2 hours with me.

Says to call anytime day or night good or bad and promised to help me out every step of the way backs his fish 100%, gave him my water parametes and he feels ther just fine. It is so nice that an hour 20 minutes away is a reall nice commited breeder of discus I feel so fourtuante to have gone here

I just wish I would have in the first place. now I am not sure how or when to introduce the Snow white I have which is still seemengly healthy after two weeks, eats from my hand and everything. Oh and the new guys follewd me around the tank and ate within the first 2 hours of being in and as of today my wife tells me they still eating like little monsters.

I was so impressed with this guys fish room it was crazy I just could not even imigane he had been doing this for 25 years learned from his dad and now teaching his son the same. gave me tons of valuable information so I hope I am sucseful this time I really do, and he did have a nice big seeded sponge he took rite out of a tank for me, just for customers like me who need to cycle fast and I already gave him the heads up that am that I would need one if he had one.

Well at least i go to see a nice hatchery up close and personal get to talk with a live person who has years exp and the fish to prove it!! so we will see what happens now. Iam keeping my fingers crossed all goes well. Thanks for all your advice oh and if you have any advice on how and when to try and introduce the snow whit let me know he will be alone and going

I know where I will be going from now on wen I need or want discus!!
Such an awsome 1st time exp 4 me nothing like it so cool!!

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Way to go!!!! You did it!!!!
Thought you were going to wait a couple more weeks....lolol....hooked!!!!
Congratulations....ain't Gwynnbrook cool? So you met Peter Thode I presume.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow! Sounds like you had a great experience! I may go there too.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TedsTank said:
Way to go!!!! You did it!!!!
Thought you were going to wait a couple more weeks....lolol....hooked!!!!
Congratulations....ain't Gwynnbrook cool? So you met Peter Thode I presume.
Heck of a nice guy, although it does sound like he may be ill with something, I sure hope he is around a long long time, he told me his son may take over one day that he helps him out. I just do not know how one person could do it all alone like that it looks like a lot of hard work. This man is dedicted gave me lots of good advice on how to care for discus.

A lot of it is much more simpler than what I have read about and I tink sometimes we make it harder than it needs to be good clean stable warm water thats they key rite there and not to over feed.

He told me I could call with any issues that may come up and he gurented me the health of the fish I believe him I mean to have fish like he does he must know a thing or two about them. The parents of my fish were huge I had no idea they got that big no wonder 6 max in a 55 gallon and I thinking that could be to small I may want to up grade when theys tart getting that big.

I saw him feed the babies and he tought me how I should be doing my water changes he spent a good long while with me and the prices were fair at elast half off the LFS
Plus I got to see and pick out the ones I wanted no shipping charges and I got to see the place and meet the man did you know he use to judge compitions for discus? One would think if you judge them and breed them you must know what you are doing that and your opinion must hold some weight as well. I think I made an excelent chocie I fee privledged in having been there and I left him know that I just wish I knew about this place sooner
It was only an hour and 15 minutes for my house so definately worth it. if you ever have a chance to go to a breeder like this or this place specifically do not hesitate its worth the drive I would have drove further if need be. if a breeder is out of reach for you then at least order from a reputable one but if you have the opertunity take it!! I will be back there I just know I will maybe when if my wife lets me get a 100 gallon I will be at Gwynbrook farms for sure I felt great that day still do I could not sleep friday night I was like a kid on christmas eve.

oh and yeah Iam hooked for sure!!!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm so glad that you were able to have such a wonderful experience. Sounds like it made a real difference for you. That's great!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Being able to meet and buy your fish from a good breeder beats chain stores all to pieces.
Carol

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Butterfly said:
Being able to meet and buy your fish from a good breeder beats chain stores all to pieces.
Carol
Thank you, and the funny thing is the prices are cheaper than at the LFS! I know this man was pashoniate about his fish. He wanted to make sure I was comfortable in knowing what I was doing and making sure I knew what to do when I got them home and insitted I call him for anything good, bad, positive, negitive, what ever. I already did write them a wonderful email thru their web site hopefully he will post some customer reviews soon.

you should chek out the web site and see what you think, but reallly nothing beats going there and getting to see a huge fish room set up like that it is awsome, and I still can not believe how big these fish get!! I mean I know by reading and people telling me but untill you see these monsters up close you really have no idea.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Peter Thode is a nice man, and a very experienced and seasoned discus breeder. He's been in the game for years and has nice fish. Glad you had a good experience.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom