My Breeder Net Mesh Is Too Large? Help

1. VenomGrass Member Member

Hey,
    On the breeder net box I purchased; It says suitable for platy fry. However, My fry is probably 5 days old and can pass through the mesh without problem?

I don't know how to isolate them lol. currently using my hand net for picking up fish.
    :;thx

2. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

from what i get of breeder nets, that's the point you breed the fish in the beeder net, then the fry fall/swim throw the mesh and the parents can't, so the parents are stuck on top and the fry can swim freely away from parents on top.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

What kind of breeder net do you have?
    I've got this one Penn Plax Net Breeder
    The mesh is very tight.

4. bubblefish Member Member

What brand is it? The brand that I bought was Lee's. Here's a pic of the breeder ne that I have with 4 day old platy fry.

Attached Files:

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That's similar to mine, different brand.

6. bubblefish Member Member

If your breeder net is similar to the one Lucy and I are using, then I don't see how they can get through the net. Are you actually seeing them pass through the net or are you finding additional platy fry that have been hiding out in your tank's substrate and around decor?

7. VenomGrass Member Member

Nope I seen it with my own eyes lol. The mesh gaps very quite large.. Ill take it back and buy another one. Cheers

8. VenomGrass Member Member

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

10. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks Lucy :)

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:happy0034:

12. VenomGrass Member Member

Arrived today, quality is great :)

13. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Glad to hear you have solved the escaping fry issues! Congrats by the way! :)
    Ken

14. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks Ken :cool: