My Bluegill Wont Eat

1. t

thomas134 New Member Member

Hi guys I've had this bluegill for about 2 weeks and he was eating the first week perfectly. All of a sudden he stopped eating the meal worms I was feeding or any other food I tried. He went from coming to the top of the tank when I came in the room to not moving at all. The tank is cycled and tests check out so I know it's not that. I have another bluegill in their that still eats. He also sits up by my filter now which he never did. I checked him for ich and cant find anything. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

What's the tank size, temperature, and parameters?

3. OP
    OP
    t

50 gallon
    81°
    Nitrates-10
    Amonia- .10
    Nitrites-0
    Ph-7.6

4. Adriifu

All right. The tank is pretty small for two blue gills. A 50-gallon is really only enough for one. This stocking will lead to aggression, which may play a role on the sick fish. Have you seen the healthier fish bully him? Another problem is your ammonia. The tank you're keeping these fish in isn't cycled yet. Any trace of ammonia can be harmful, so I would suggest performing a 50% water change daily until your tank is completely cycled. During this time, use Seachem Prime to detoxify everything. What do you feed them?

5. OP
    OP
    t

Thanks for your reply and I feed them frozen shrimp and meal worms. I thought the amonia is up because I added the fish two weeks ago. I do about 20-30% water changes every other day so I guess I'll do 50% every day. I dont know if it's worth mentioning but I came home yesterday and saw a white dot on the fish that hasn't been eating for 4 days prior and was shocked. I have never dealt with ick but I know what it looks like. I just ran my finger over my sunfishes head and it came off. I checked everywhere else and didn't find anything.
    Thanks

6. Adriifu

I would keep an eye out for ich, then. Just in case, start raising the temperature. Add an airstone as well. When performing water changes, use a gravel vacuum.

7. OP
    OP
    t

The new bluegill does nip at him a bit. I was hoping adding a new one in would get him back into eating but that's not working. By the way these bluegill are 3-4 inches

8. Adriifu

They'll be okay for now as long as you get rid of ich, ammonia, and bullying. More hiding places would be ideal.