my blue tang is in trouble

saltman1120

I have had it for about 3 weeks now and I noticed it has white spotts on it its been in the tank for a few days before I relized that it was ick. so.....I took her out and am treating it for ick what should I doabout the othewr fish in the tank? it don't look like they have it but I can't treat the hole tank cuz of inverts and coral and I'm using a 5 gallon bucket as a QT. any advice?

pistorta

Blue tangs are known to be prone to Ich. They are one of the most sensitive fish to it. Your best bet would be to remove the fish and lower the salinity of the QT (gradually) or treat with a copper based medication. It is recommended that you remove all fish to the QT, but if I were you I would wait to see what happens with them (as your QT is too small for more than one sizable fish). Your inverts and coral will be fine. There are a few reef safe ich medications available (Kent manufacturers one) but I don't know how well they work. Hope this helps.

saltman1120

thanks for the help! in the proces of catching the tang I removed some of the rocks to catch her but I have a black damsile and thepoor little guy got eatin up by one of the other damsils in the tank. it looks like it has spots too so I put the damsile in with the tang and treat them with some cooper stuff. but it won't hurt my inverts in the main tank though right?

pistorta

Ich won't hurt the inverts but copper will.

pistorta

How did the tang make out?

Most photos and links are disabled if you are not logged into the forum.

Top Bottom