My Blue Lobster/Crayfish lost a pincher during his first molt

Discussion in 'Blue Lobster' started by Wetzel, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Wetzel

Wetzel New Member Member

I just got a blue Lobster/Crayfish and he molted about 1 week after I got him. I came out yesterday morning and he had come out from under the log he likes to hide in and I realized he lost a pincher. Will it come back and if so how long will it take?

Thanks

2. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

he will gain his pincher back, next time he molts it should be back :) (although it can take more than one molt SOMETIMES)

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, it'll grow another - though it'll take a few months for it to start looking like a claw.

If they encounter a problem when molting, they can detatch the stuck limb so that they do not die.

After reviewing the tank in your aquarium info, I suspect the crayfish was interupted, felt threatened are dropped the claw. The claws are the last things to get freed from the old shell.

4. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I would also advise to put the crayfish into his own species tank (10 gallon, lots of sand, nothing special). Those cories won't last very long with him in there.

5. OP
    OP
    Wetzel

Wetzel New Member Member

Thanks a lot everyone your help is much appreciated!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice