My blood parrots spawned!! now what?

Plumkin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so i showed you guys the new BP i got with my orginal one i noticed when i was tryin to clean the tank last night she was chashing me away and going nutts if i went near it looked like behavior i seen on a video of a bp spawning! and then today theres eggs in the pot and my angelfish also spawned! what do i do with the bp eggs?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I recommend that you let Mother Nature take her course. I see that you only have 1 Bloody Parrot and no other fish in your aquarium that the Bloody Parrot could spawn with. The eggs will not be viable.

Even if you had a male Bloody Parrot, the chances of having a successful spawn are really limited. So many of the males in this species are sterile, not all, but most.

Ken

Plumkin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i have 2 bps being A male and a female remember you seen the video?

Plumkin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
woke up today and the eggs were gone someone must of ate them

CichlidConossuier

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry to hear about the eggs. But Ken is right. Spawning BPs is not the easiest thing in the world to do. Being that most of your males will be sterile. Even if the female laid eggs, they would not be fertilized and instinct would tell her to either abandon them or eat them.

Plumkin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
how do you have success?

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I personally have never heard of a BP spawning due to the cross reading. Im sure it may have happened somewhere, not sure.

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you really want babies from your BP's you could cross the female with another type of cichlid. Convicts, severums, flowerhorns, midas are all cichlids that will produce babies with a BP.

;D If you came to india you can have one of my fertile BP males

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rub it in RougeAgent! LOL (just teasing you). You are the only one I know of right off hand with fertile male Bloody Parrots.

Ken

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Haha! Trust me. If you were a well known Parrotfish keeper in Eastern Asia, you would know a lot more people with fertile male parrots. The reason people don't know about 'us' very well is because all the breeders that have fertile males are always in correspondence with each other trying to keep their gene pools as big as possible. If you inbreed a parrot too much, they come out looking pretty weird. The gene pool is a huge concern for 'us'.

Plumkin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ill be taking a trip to india this week be READY

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wow you are very fortunant,i really love my parrots and have had them for over a year know,have seen lots of eggs, but with no results,wich i know that it will not happen,even with the emaculante conception,lol,but i do have a male convict and hope for something but........ nothing yet,can always hope,but it realy doesnt matter i love my fish as it is ,if you were the breader of my fish,witch i doubt, but maybe,if one has faith,i thank you for such a great fish,and i hope the LEGACY continues,thank you to all who have taken part in this and many other tasks,with love and a happy easter(if one believes in that)have a graet life.STEVE M NELSON MINN.

Plumkin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oh you live in MN you are pretty close to me !!

Im waiting on the 2nd spawn its been a little over a month now shes plumpin up very well tho. Put her and the male in a breeder tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom