My black Molly is attacking my silver Molly

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by cheesepuff, Aug 7, 2015.

1. cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

I have 2 female mollys in my tank. One is a black and the other is a silver. The black one is actively being aggressive towards the silver one, chasing her away whenever she gets close. I got rid of the only male Molly in the tank a few weeks ago. He was a black Molly. Any ideas why this is happening?

2. Blk69Valued MemberMember

That is natural behavior. How large is your tank? If you like Molly's and have room suggest getting a few more. With a few more they should school.

3. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Is it only during feeding time? or other times as well? Do you have photos of them?

4. cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

Feeding time is the only time they don't get in a fight. After that the black one will bully the silver quite a bit

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Some of my fish are aggressive at feeding time also and will chase the others away. I think its fairly normal. I see it with a few of the platies, my gourami, my ram etc. The first time I saw it, I thought wow, what a bully!

6. DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

I don't know if you've added anything to the tank lately, but additional hiding spots would make them more comfortable, plants and such for them to break sight lines should help aggression between any fish.

7. cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

I've got a huge piece of drift wood that many of the aquatic life uses to hide, and a shrimp tube for the shrimp. Other than that, not much. I've got so much real estate taken up by equipment. I'm starting to feel that my 30 gallon is too small

8. DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

Im pretty familiar with your tank now since its on YouTube lol, you have plenty of room to plant it if you wished.
    The driftwood is good, but imagine you had a problem with somebody and you knew that if you couldn't see them then there was only one place that you knew they could be. It would be little effort to seek them out, now imagine there was 4 or more places they could be hiding, is it really worth the search?
    (not a trained fish psychologist by the way haha)

9. cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

True. I know nothing about aquatic plants other than moss balls. A red plant would be awesome. I think I'll make a new thread on the subject

10. DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

11. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What size tank?

12. cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

30 gallon

13. DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

Just to add to this, I picked up a tank yesterday and with it came a male molly, a female platy and about 12 platy fry, all of which I have put in a 10 gallon whilst I find a new home for them.
    I noticed today the male Molly would not stop harassing the female platy, the tank only had some dense hornwort throughout which is about 4 inches tall.

I added in a large sword plant and it looks like it did the trick for the most part, also just added in a cave decoration, he still is bugging her but not nearly as much. I actually like the look of the tank too that I've randomly thrown together.

14. RogueValued MemberMember

If you have the real estate, I would add more mollies. Odd numbers of fish will help dilute aggression. With only two fish of the same species, the dominant only has one fish it can boss around. The lone submissive fish will never get a break, and from the sound of it, it doesn't have anywhere to hide either.

If you add a few more fish, any one of the other submissive fish should have a chance to get lost in the crowd. Adding in more hiding places or dither fish might help to distract the dominant fish as well.

15. cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

Can it be any kind of Molly? It looks like my guppy has been bullied add well. Some slightly nipped fins.

Sent from my TF300T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

Added a dalmatian molly. That seems to have helped.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

17. cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

Spoke too soon. The black one is chasing both of them. And somehow I think the silver one is pregnant again. From what I understand a female Molly can get pregnant several times off of the same round of intercourse with one male? Something like their bodies able to hold excess sperm for future use? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If I am, I have no clue how she's pregnant again.

When all three of them are in the tank the black one only Chase is the white one. Could it be because she's pregnant?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

18. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Female livebearers can store sperm for a number of months, and birth multiple litters from it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Actually, the females store spermatophores from the male, which is a sort of packet of sperm. They have a particular organ to keep these, and after a litter is dropped and new eggs are grown internally, a few of these are released with the appropriate enzymes to dissolve the casing and allow the sperm to fertilize the eggs. They can hold spermatophores for a year or more, and they can hold spermatophores from multiple males. It has been found that the last spermatophores in are usually the first ones used, so that the last male to mate with the female is the father of most of the next litters. It is also possible for a single litter to have more than one father.

20. AksammiNew MemberMember

Is it just me or do black mollies tend to be meaner? Out of all my fish, they seem to be the most aggressive!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice