My black male balloon molly has pop eye!

IranAngel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have read some other threads about this problem, but didn't find any practical solutions to or treatments for it. What do I do? It's not a common molly. I guess he's called balloon molly, but I'm not sure if that's true because I've seen other fish labeled "balloon molly" in some fish stores and they are a lot bigger than mine! And I'm pretty sure this is the adult size. Mine are the size of a common, adult guppy, maybe even a bit smaller. So does anyone know what he's actually called? And the pop eye problem is getting worse every day (I know I'm a "bad" guy, but I really don't have that much time). He's a cute little creature, and I don't want to see him suffer or even die. He's acting normal, though. He's happy, eats alright... But his left eye is swollen and it's getting worse every day! What do I do?? And an important side note: look at my country flag! Those drugs that you might wanna prescribe DO NOT EXIST here! I have read about Maracyn Two, but I'm so sure it doesn't exist that I didn't even bother to ask some LFS if they have it (I don't wanna look stupid by requesting something that I know doesn't even exist!). Should I ask a pharmacy if they have it? Where else would I find it? Can someone else suggest an easier, more available treatment? Any suggestions and ideas might come in handy, so don't hesitate to comment. Thanks for your help!

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could you add a pic? Balloon mollies are inbred to look that way, their spines get deformed and their lifespan is shorter. Not to mention that they aren't very hardy and therefore more susceptible to disease.

OP
I

IranAngel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll try to take a good pic, and I'll upload it soon.

OP
I

IranAngel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So this is the best shot I could get. You can also see one of my male guppies there. They're on the surface, that's why there's a reflection.
So do you have any suggestions for the pop eye? I couldn't get a shot of his other side, so you can't see it in this photo.
IMAG0985.jpg

OP
I

IranAngel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
But I have a female "balloon" molly the same size as this one, and that one IS balloon; I thought maybe this is the difference between male and female balloon mollies. I got them from the same tank in a LFS. dunno... Anyways, like I said above, things such as fish medicine, test kits, etc. are not available here. I know that's unbelievable, but it's true... Even if I could find these, they would be extremely expensive. So I can't tell you my pH, KH, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels. As a matter of fact, many people and even "professional" LFS don't even know about the nitrogen cycle! Can you believe that?? So what do I do??

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow.... um, I don't know what you should do. If you have soft water, then that'd be a factor because mollies need hard water and a high pH. High nitrates I believe can also cause popeye......
Looking at that again, I was wrong, it's a balloon molly. I didn't notice the shortness of the body earlier. Probably not as bad of an inbred one.

OP
I

IranAngel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK, then. Thanks for your information. But I'm still worried about him

OP
I

IranAngel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not sure if I could find that. Also, I've read in another thread on this forum that epsom salt is usually used for human application. I'll try it if I find it. Thanks.

OP
I

IranAngel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll try that too.
Oh, by the way, don't get a bad idea about me and my country based on what I said above. It's just that fish-keeping is not such a common hobby here, and so there are not adequate medicine, food, equipments, etc. available.
Thanks again for all your help.

OP
I

IranAngel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you, alink. I browsed the website. There is a lot of useful equipment, but I didn't find any medicine or things like Seachem Prime or Tetra SafeStart or test kits... And even if I did, then there would be the matter of payment and currency. Thanks anyway.

New Threads