My Biohome Came In Help 

lodingi

Valued Member
Reaction score
richie.p said:
Just for future reference I've just started using a pre booster filter with all mechanical freeing up my fluval for full Biological compartments of Biohome ultimate
https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/filters/external/ef-2-booster-supplimentary-canister/
What size tank, what size filter? Reason I ask is I have a 55 gallon community tank with an FX4. I have 4.5lbs of Biohome Ultimate in the filter and have been unable to get a full nitrogen cycle. It would be nice to set up a prefilter and fill the sponge compartments on the FX4 with additional Biohome media and achieve a full cycle. Thanks.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lodingi said:
What size tank, what size filter? Reason I ask is I have a 55 gallon community tank with an FX4. I have 4.5lbs of Biohome Ultimate in the filter and have been unable to get a full nitrogen cycle. It would be nice to set up a prefilter and fill the sponge compartments on the FX4 with additional Biohome media and achieve a full cycle. Thanks.
That was my disappointment I'm running fx4 and fx6 and it dosnt fit the pipe work as its bigger on the fluval but it fits the 306&406 which I'm using it on, I did think about stepping the pipe down but richard from pim my filter said you probably wont get the full cycle, he said he had drawn up plans for a booster range but shelved it as hes to busy so his suggestion was to make one quite easy by matching up the pipework size and using a container with adaptors and water tight, so my thoughts picking up a scrap 306 and adapting it,

IceForever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
richie.p said:
Just for future reference I've just started using a pre booster filter with all mechanical freeing up my fluval for full Biological compartments of Biohome ultimate
https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/filters/external/ef-2-booster-supplimentary-canister/
Nice, that’s how I wanted to set up a canister filter if I couldn’t fit enough of the biohome in to my Penguin. Seems like a much easier way to set it up so that all your mechanical gets done separately in that. Hardly ever have to clean the canister from what I heard/read.

Since I was able to fit enough in my Penguin, fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it LOL) I didn’t need to upgrade to a canister quite yet, but on my next bigger tank I will definitely be doing that, if I don’t just build a sump.

My better half says no bigger tanks til we get a bigger house though:dead::emoji_sweat_smile::emoji_sweat::emoji_sob:

lodingi said:
That’s crazy...I didn’t even fit a full kg in my Penguin yet and it has been keeping my nitrates down around 5-10...how long have you been running that?

I’m also curious if they sent you starter balls with the biohome, and/or did you seed it w your previous media?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All Biohome comes with starter balls, at least in the uk and I cant see any different across the pond unless its an import thing

IceForever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alright so tested everything today and here we go...
D844F84A-22A8-4806-B429-6C332FB4D8D0.jpeg

pH- 6.8-7
gH- 2dKH
kH- 2-3dKH
Ammonia- shows around .5 but my kit is down to the last bit of the second bottle, and I’ve always shown baselines around .25 I assume due to evaporation out of second bottle of reagent. I also had a fish die some time last night -which I’ll get to in a minute- which may have a caused a little spike. Regardless, I’m not worried.
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5-10

This is 4 weeks no WC, and I’ve had to top off less than 2 gallons.

I’m glad that the pH seems to be stabilizing. I think I’d like to get my gH/kH up just a TAD bit more but that may continue to happen over the next few days/week, who knows.

Now to my Danio that died last night...surprisingly he wasn’t even picked at...but I’m pretty sure he ate himself to death? I thought it was just a female who was pregnant, but now I’m thinking it was bloated...red along the stomach and gills seems like internal hemorrhaging right? I was worried ammonia poisoning when I saw the gills red, but then noticed it’s also on the stomach, and all other fish...specifically the ones who are much more susceptible to ammonia poisoning...are fine- plus .5 not that high. Just want a second or third or fourth or fifth or however many I can get, opinion. Haha, sorry for the sad pics.
6CAAD6D7-3ABE-43D6-A5C8-BCBA6BB7B650.jpeg EC5153A2-BB25-4B21-8CA8-14DBBFDA5F2B.jpeg
Not a fun way to wake up to go to work at 4AM. I actually called in bc I was worried it might be something that needed immediate attention, haha.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the drops in the 2nd bottle are bigger. mine is almost empty while bottle 1 is low.

yep, looks like internal hemorrhaging. never hurts to do a 50% water change. just to be safe.

IceForever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Skavatar said:
the drops in the 2nd bottle are bigger. mine is almost empty while bottle 1 is low.

yep, looks like internal hemorrhaging. never hurts to do a 50% water change. just to be safe.
My second bottle also has some yellow crust forming at the top of that plastic red locking-piece :/

Thanks for the additional eye on my danio. How would you recommend handling overeaters like that in the future, do you know? Like my tank is too big and too many fish, I have to feed heavy so that some makes it down to everybody, and that danio was almost as bad as my angel lol. Like I said, though, I just assumed it was prego, but sure enough it looks like the little bugger literally ate itself to death...

lodingi

Valued Member
Reaction score
IceForever said:
That’s crazy...I didn’t even fit a full kg in my Penguin yet and it has been keeping my nitrates down around 5-10...how long have you been running that?

I’m also curious if they sent you starter balls with the biohome, and/or did you seed it w your previous media?
No bio balls with my order. I seeded the bio home with existing media. It's been in my filter for several months. I still get nitrate readings in the 40+ range. Very frustrating.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you can turn your hot water on low and gently rinse the crust off w/o getting water into the bottle

maybe try floating foods for the faster ones, feed them on one side of the tank, while they're busy eating. feed sinking foods on the other side of the tank for the bottom dwellers. or try to feed the bottom dwellers right before bed with all the lights out.

IceForever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Skavatar said:
you can turn your hot water on low and gently rinse the crust off w/o getting water into the bottle

maybe try floating foods for the faster ones, feed them on one side of the tank, while they're busy eating. feed sinking foods on the other side of the tank for the bottom dwellers. or try to feed the bottom dwellers right before bed with all the lights out.
My bottom dwellers are fine, they scavenge stuff off the floor no problem, my danios don’t even go down that far...it’s my cardinals...they’re very timid (I assume since they’re wild caught and/or there’s an angel in there) and they stay around the lower/mid levels. They’ll come out a bit to feed, but they won’t go high in the tank and they won’t really scavenge right off the substrate so I have a limited window where they’ll grab food, if that makes sense? Lol

lodingi said:
No bio balls with my order. I seeded the bio home with existing media. It's been in my filter for several months. I still get nitrate readings in the 40+ range. Very frustrating.
They do say that the anaerobic bacteria takes significantly longer to grow, and without the starter balls maybe that’s what the problem is? I also believe that less flow = better environment for them to grow. So perhaps as my added sponges reduced the flow rate in my hob, it aided in expediting the growth of the bacteria. Maybe you could try doing something to reduce the flow rate where your biohome is, and see if that helps at all?

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Which ever side your cardinals are hanging out at, start feeding the other side, once the angel and danios are busy eating on that side, start feeding the cardinals on the other side.

its kinda what i do with my comets and oranda. get the comets busy on one side then feed the oranda on the other side.

IceForever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Skavatar said:
Which ever side your cardinals are hanging out at, start feeding the other side, once the angel and danios are busy eating on that side, start feeding the cardinals on the other side.

its kinda what i do with my comets and oranda. get the comets busy on one side then feed the oranda on the other side.
Yeah that’s what I usually try to do, since they instinctively stay on the opposite side of him anyway, but he will literally see me go over there and start dropping food, and he darts RIGHT over; completely forgets about the plethora of food that was right next to him in an attempt to distract him.

Sometimes I just put my hand in and drop the food under the water, but a lot of the time when I do that they’re so skiddish that they run away and somebody else either gets to the food first or it sinks to the substrate where my cories and shrimp will find it later since my cardinals think they’re too good to eat off the floor:yawn::emoji_rolling_eyes::emoji_joy:

IceForever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
1AF58D36-A798-4D58-B693-45AEF0B369BA.jpeg 2DB92745-FA6F-47B4-AE31-21D8D2B811FD.jpeg
pH looks to be stabilizing around 7.2 I hope
My kH is still 2-3
But my gH skyrocketed to 15? Off the charts, technically, on the paper that came w the tests.

Do I need to be concerned about this? My fish and plants all look great, like they’ve really ‘woken up’ if that makes sense...in fact! The crypt I’ve been worried about, because it melted and stopped growing, showed new growth today for the first time in months and the plants look a lot healthier in general. My gut tells me that I don’t need to worry since everyone/thing looks and acts happy, and isn’t gH just how much calcium and magnesium is in the water? Excessive amounts of calcium (from the coral) shouldn’t hurt my fish at all right? And it will be great for my snails and shrimp. One of the big ghosts I have already molted the day after I installed that new filter lol, but I digress...Just want to make sure that the gH being that high won’t be an issue. I think most freshwater fish nowadays are pretty used to really hard water, anyway, right?

I will continue to monitor every couple of days. The process slows down as it starts to reach equilibrium.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
IceForever said:
1AF58D36-A798-4D58-B693-45AEF0B369BA.jpeg 2DB92745-FA6F-47B4-AE31-21D8D2B811FD.jpeg
pH looks to be stabilizing around 7.2 I hope
My kH is still 2-3
But my gH skyrocketed to 15? Off the charts, technically, on the paper that came w the tests.

Do I need to be concerned about this? My fish and plants all look great, like they’ve really ‘woken up’ if that makes sense...in fact! The crypt I’ve been worried about, because it melted and stopped growing, showed new growth today for the first time in months and the plants look a lot healthier in general. My gut tells me that I don’t need to worry since everyone/thing looks and acts happy, and isn’t gH just how much calcium and magnesium is in the water? Excessive amounts of calcium (from the coral) shouldn’t hurt my fish at all right? And it will be great for my snails and shrimp. One of the big ghosts I have already molted the day after I installed that new filter lol, but I digress...Just want to make sure that the gH being that high won’t be an issue. I think most freshwater fish nowadays are pretty used to really hard water, anyway, right?

I will continue to monitor every couple of days. The process slows down as it starts to reach equilibrium.
Off the charts isn't really off the charts. I have like 16 drops gh and 18 kh usually. It's not a good or bad thing. Most fish adapt easily to high kh, not the other way around. Gh is kind of like tds, not very useful unless you know exactly what the makeup is. I would not be worried in the least.

IceForever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wraithen said:
Off the charts isn't really off the charts. I have like 16 drops gh and 18 kh usually. It's not a good or bad thing. Most fish adapt easily to high kh, not the other way around. Gh is kind of like tds, not very useful unless you know exactly what the makeup is. I would not be worried in the least.
Awesome that’s what I was thinking but I wanted expert opinions haha thank you as always!

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
GH is usually high to very high in Texas b/c most of our water come from underground limestone aquifers. There are parts of East Texas (Piney Woods area) that have soft water b/c all the peat and vegetation in the lakes and forests.

IceForever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Skavatar said:
GH is usually high to very high in Texas b/c most of our water come from underground limestone aquifers. There are parts of East Texas (Piney Woods area) that have soft water b/c all the peat and vegetation in the lakes and forests.
Yeah I know my tap water is ridiculously hard. It was even worse when we first moved in but enough people complained, so they came out and tested/‘fixed’ it. Lol.

I just wasn’t sure. I also never tested the gH/kH before so I have no baseline from before, or even what it is out of tap, nor my source water lol, to compare it to.

Again, I appreciate y’all putting my mind at ease lol.

IceForever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
15089988-AA2A-4D62-9FBD-70F7493640A1.jpeg

Looks like it’s reaching equilibrium right around 7.2

How perfect, that’s even better than my source water which is around 7.5-7.6 (I know it’s nominal but just saying lol)

Tomorrow I’m gonna grab some more mesh bags and take out some of the crushed coral in favor of running a little carbon for a few days and see if I notice any difference. I haven’t run any carbon in it for quite a while now...longer when you consider that even before I did the upgrade, I hadn’t actually changed that cartridge in a very long time, so the carbon had lost its effectiveness for a WHILE before I even took it out, hahah.

My water is crystal clear tbh but maybe I’ll notice a difference. On a side note, having a second HOB and third filter is kinda nice in the sense that now I can mess around in one of them and not have to worry about crashing my tank or anything:emoji_sweat_smile:

IceForever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a theory...that my biohome is working so well and achieved [partial] denitrification so quickly, with such a small amount of media, due to the largely reduced flow of my Penguin after I added the sponges inside as well as both prefilters.

I read that Anaerobic bacteria do best in very low-flow water...after the fact, I mean; it’s not like I intentionally reduced the flow in hopes to provide as hospitable an environment as I could for them, haha.

Does that make sense?

IceForever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Got a double red apisto pair today, among other things, at my LFS. We really wanted the triple reds, but there’s not THAT much of a difference, and this pair was already at my LFS versus special ordering, so I decided to go ahead and rescue them (not that my LFS takes bad care of their fish).

Can’t wait to see them grow and color up even more
AB6979AF-A8E8-4E8F-A3D8-20B95D904A94.jpeg 2B12666F-38BB-4BBC-9A42-8C54406B031B.jpeg

Thought I did good leaving spending just shy of $100 (I got some other stuff too)

Then I remembered that I had done this before I went >.< LOL
2326AE89-C141-4770-B870-6C8F524BE43D.png

This dang aquarium is such a money pit...but I love it

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom