My Betta's Ventral fins were ripped off Help 

JustJessii

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A couple of days ago I was cleaning my large fishbowl out, it houses a few goldfish, two fathead minnows, and one betta, Knapp. My fiancee was helping a bit and she moved Knapp for me, a few minutes later, whilst admiring the clean tank in its new environment (I just moved), I noticed something in the water. It appeared to be a fin or tail, minus the fish. I looked more closely, thinking that my darker fathead minnow had accidentally gotten caught in the net and been essentially ripped apart, but finding him intact, I kept looking. When I noticed a reddish hue to the floating peice, I knew who it belonged to.

Knapp looked fine, but when I looked closer, I could see that his ventral fins are actually gone, he still has what I would call spikes there, like a har boney part of them perhaps, but the fleshy part is gone. He's a little gloomy, as I assume he's in pain, but otherwise seems fine. This was definitely an accident, and my fiancee and I both feel terrible. Is there anything that we can dI for him? Do you think he'll be alright?

Thanks for any help.

~Jessii

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI Jessii, and welcome to Fish Lore. Bettas are really solitary fish, and should be kept alone. You may have had success keeping him in there,(I've kept Bettas in communities for a while but they always end up getting picked on) but he'd be much happier in his own tank. Um, don't know of any specific treatment for this, but some stress coat would be good. If you live in the US, you can pick it up at Wal-Mart for around 5$. You should probably move him to his own tank to recover. Um, I think there's some stuff called Garlic Guard and VitaChem that will help him. Here's the Betta fish care guide. I sure hope he gets better!

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Even assuming the goldfish and the betta are getting along, the biggest problem I see with that combination of fish is that the betta requires a heater to be truely comfortable and goldfish do better without.

betta temp range: 21-29 C
goldfish temp: 18-22 C

(well.... goldies can go anywhere from just above freezing on up, but do better in that range)

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello JustjessiI and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Sorry to hear about your Betta being torn up. I agree with the above posters and feel that your Betta should be housed alone in an aquarium, heated and filtered, 5 to 10 gallon tank.

Bettas are a tropical fish and Goldfish are temperate requiring cooler waters and they should not be housed together.

I'd separate the Betta now, if you haven't already. Treat as mentioned above by keeping his water as pristine as possible. Add some Vita Chem for extra vitamins, Garlic Gard to help to boost the fishes immune system. You can also use garlic juice from a jar that you purchase at the grocery store. Just a couple of drops onto the food. See link below for examples:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/minced-garlic-in-a-jar-just-an-example-for-those-needing-it.62705/

Make sure the garlic from the grocery store is in water and not oil.

Best wishes for a full recovery. I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

JustJessii

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks a bunch.

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice. I will be moving Knapp out of the Goldfish bowl, but, no offense to anyone, I'm not leaving him alone. I've had a good few bettas, and almost all of them enjoy company, but not until I got Knapp did I find one who was actually so glum and depressive when he was alone. I hadn't really considered that Goldfish prefer such cool waters, and I keep it pretty consistently warmer. I'll be moving Knapp in with some more agreeable (temperature-wise) friends, perhaps the fathead minnows, I'm going to do some research, or maybe a couple of not-so-pretty guppies, I've had lots of luck with them in the past. Knapp getting hurt was not the fault of the other fish though, it was a mishap with the net. Anyway, thanks for all the advice and Knapp is doing very very well.

~Jessii

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the update! I hope Knapp enjoys his new home! I have a Betta (Charlemagne) who wouldn't eat unless he was in the community tank. But, I was determined to get him out (he was getting picked on, and his fins were getting very short) so I put him in a 5 gal. alone until I could buy the divider and put my other Betta in there. He didn't eat for a WEEK! Well, he ate one tiny flake, but that was it. He blew huge bubblenests and acted normal, but he just wouldn't eat. Finally, after about a week he ate, and has been eating ever since. Good luck with Knapp!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads