My betta's tail is getting shorter...

ShaynaB
Ok, so it's my mother's betta, but I clean the tank.

So I was doing the water change and her betta's tail is a considerable ammount shorter than it used to be.

I don't think it's fin rot, because it isn't white on the ends. (Although I could be wrong... I've never dealt with this before.)

His tail is shorter all around, not just in one place.

Help!!

Ok, so before anyone asks, his water is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10 nitrates...

chickadee
Unfortunately the white is not always present in finrot. That is just if they happen to have a certain type of infection but they can have fin rot and have no sign other than a disappearance of the tissue of their fins which is what it sounds like is happening to your betta. I would be doing a big water change even though the parameters are perfect and then if you are not using garlic with his food I would start and get him some Vitachem and Trisulfa if you can as soon as you can. Fish Protector will help his fins grow back quicker too. These are not especially expensive things to get but in most cases they need to be ordered as most fish stores just do not carry them. The most important thing right now is the Trisulfa I would think but the Vitachem and Fish Protector will be needed too.

If you want to save on postage and get it all at one place you will have to pay more for the sulfa medication but the drug will work just as well. Here are the links if you need them.

Those are the big three when it comes to finrot. Trisulfa is available at:

they do not carry Fish Protector.

Please do keep us informed of his progress or let us know if you need any help.

Rose

ShaynaB
Thanks Rose!

I'm going to go check my LFS before I order online. They usually have things I can't find at the big chain stores...

I do have a question about the garlic though. I haven't been using it. Is it the juice or the actual garlic? I have chopped garlic and cloved garlic in jars... Which would be better?

You're a life saver! My mom's panicking, so I showed her your reply and she calmed down. Thanks so much!

I'll keep you informed on what happens!

COBettaCouple
Looks like Rose has it covered. I wish you the best in getting her betta healed up & totally healthy.

chickadee
If you have the chopped garlic in jars in its own juice try putting his food in the juice and soaking it or just dropping a few drops in his water it will help his immune system. Do this about 3 times a week while his tail is bad and he will be better. Then when he is better you can do it just 1 time a week.

Rose

ShaynaB
So I've been putting in the Trisulfa, VitaChem, and Fish Protector.

(Found them at my favorite LFS!)

His tail doesn't look any better yet, but he is eating. When I tried to feed him right after I noticed his tail was shorter, he wouldn't touch food. I figure that means he's feeling a bit better!

I've also been dealing with the aquarium heat. It's been running hot since we had a heatwave a week or so ago. I've been constantly floating frozen little cups of water (in ziploc bags) in it to get the temp down at least to 80, but then it goes right back up. It's frustrating! He's in a Marineland 3. UGH California heat drives me nuts!

The Trisulfa says to put in 4 doses. If his tail isn't any better should I continue another 4 doses??

chickadee
For finrot I called their factory representative and they recommend 14 days of Trisulfa treatment to make sure to kill the infection out and not take a chance of it becoming chronic. I know it does say to give differently but I got it directly from their vet rep.

Rose

ShaynaB
Ok, so I'm continuing the Trisulfa, Fish Protector, and Vita Chem, with a couple drops of garlic juce every two days or so along with daily water changes.

His tail looks a little better. It was split down the back a bit, but the split looks smaller to me today. His ventral fins look better too.

He's a happy guy, even with the fin rot. He got a new silk plant today and he's been exploring the leaves. I figured he needed some new diggs since I pulled the live plant I had in there out. Experiment gone bad!

Anywho, all's good around this neck of the woods so far!

Martinismommy
You are not supposed to do water changes when medicating with Trisulpha...Make sure and remove the carbon and do NOT do a water change unless your ammonia level rises...

ShaynaB
Hmm... On the back of the package it says to do two treatments, then a 25% water change, then repeat! OY! All this meds stuff... I swear. Help help!

I'm on the water change day...

I don't use carbon in my filters, always empty it out before I put a new filter in... (Which is almost never! A good swish with tank water works well!)

Martinismommy
It is overwhelming isn't it lol...I've been going through the same thing...My gutt tells me to do water changes but if your tank is cycled it shouldn't be a problem to go the 14 days...

ShaynaB
Yeah, it's a bit overwhelming...

My mom's very attached to the little guy (me too!) and she worrys a lot about him. Doesn't help me with stressing any! Haha... He's her computer fish. When she writes her reports, he's there to keep her company.

Well, I didn't do a water change yesterday but I did one today. Not a great big one, but enough... Two weeks without a water change! Yeesh! I'll watch his test readings. He should be ok though.

Thanks! It helps to have people that understand this stuff... My boyfriend saw the bottles of meds that I had bought and gave me the "He's just a fish" line. I almost threw one of the bottles at him! haha

Martinismommy
"He's just a fish" Oh man don't get me started lol...My son was with me when I bought 3 packs of Trisulpha...He was looking at the Betta fish in the store...He comes up to me and says "Mom wouldn't it be cheaper just to replace the fish if he passes" Talk about wanting to konk someone! lol

These fish are our babies...We do whatever it takes to make them better...

ShaynaB
HA my dad said that same thing... "It's cheaper to replace him with a fish that looks identical. You won't even know the difference." The look my mother gave him... Whew! I'm glad I wasn't on the receiving end of that one!

ShaynaB
His tail looks AMAZINGLY better today! There's a lot of new growth!

HOORAY!

COBettaCouple
Yea, the Triple Sulfa is 2 doses, then 25% pwc, 2 more doses and another 25% pwc. Somehow Rocky got himself a case of fin rot so he's been getting that this week.

Just a fish.. yea, that makes me want to haul off on a person!

ShaynaB
Update!

He's doing a ton better! His fins are all regrown and he's a happy boy!

He said to tell you guys thanks!

COBettaCouple
Great to hear! ;D

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JamieXPXP
  • Question
Replies
Views
Franklyfrankie
Replies