My Bettas Fins Are Tattered And Half His Lip Is Missing What Do I Do?

raia

my halfmoon male bettas fins are tattered and half his lip is missing. it started last week ive been putting salt in the tank and he seems to be eating and acting normal but I don't know what's causing it or what I can do to help. I have no fake plants that could cut his fins or anything that would hurt him in the tank. I really love him and don't know what to do.

Attachments

• IMG_5550.jpg
    IMG_5550.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 87

wolfdog01

Might have bumped his snout on something, as for the fins it could be rot, maybe some biting cause of the large fins. How's your water quality? How often do you do water changes? What's the tank size and temp? Just a few questions to get the ball rolling

MaximumRide14

Are the edges of the damaged fins white?

raia

Might have bumped his snout on something, as for the fins it could be rot, maybe some biting cause of the large fins. How's your water quality? How often do you do water changes? What's the tank size and temp? Just a few questions to get the ball rolling
every week and everythings normal with the water nothings changed

Are the edges of the damaged fins white?
no

Sea hamster

Is your betta housed with other bettas? New to this site by the way.

Sea hamster

Fin nippers or aggressive fish may have caused it. But if you don't have other fish with your betta, it could be water parameters (high ammonia driving fish crazy making it bump into stuff)

I have a frog, he has nipped my female betta before, but everyone's cases are different.

raia

its been 7 months theyve been together I would have noticed way before

Tinker Betta

Poor guy. I'm no expert. But from what I have seen (compared to other bettas or pictures) to me, it looks like fin rot. I treat one of my males with Betta Revive and his is looking better and starting to grow back.

Sea hamster

Well if you clean the water frequently, ammonia and nitrate parameters should be stable. Your frogs aren't aggressive as far as you know. If you decide to use fin rot medicine, beware because I heard frogs are sensitive to fish meds.

IndigoTJo

I would do water changes every other day to keep water pristine. I usually do 50% when this happens.

wolfdog01

I agree, either every day or every other day, 50% and don't worry about the salt anymore, that's more of another thing to try if clean water doesn't work. I've heard from a few people that you'd use it if when his fins begin to heal because it MAY help, but still hold off on it for a little bit.
By the way, what is the tank size?

Also, you never know what your frogs do when you're not looking. My frog is a fighter. He'll pick fights with the tank's cory catfish and he'll sort of lunge at some of the fish that get too close to him. However, no major damage has been done to these fish as the frogs have no teeth or weapons of self defense of any kind. Also there's this video:
I think that tank was just asking for it lol too small and no hiding spots, maybe in a bigger and lusher tank it wouldn't happen, at least not like that.

Sea hamster

And I thought frogs were defenseless, let alone against a betta. I take back what I said earlier.

kylo ren

I think that tank was just asking for it lol too small and no hiding spots, maybe in a bigger and lusher tank it wouldn't happen, at least not like that.

OPs tank is only 5 gal

fishn.rc

I would definitely start off quarantining him and then treating/ paying close attention. Lips missing on any fish let alone bettas (which iv seen cases similar on here) is never a positive sign in any way. Does he show any signs of white fuzziness? what is his filter like if you have

Sea hamster

But as for your betta, it's either the frogs, or fin rot causing the problem.

wolfdog01

OPs tank is only 5 gal
I did not see that...that might be a problem then with those frogs lol

raia

I would definitely start off quarantining him and then treating/ paying close attention. Lips missing on any fish let alone bettas (which iv seen cases similar on here) is never a positive sign in any way. Does he show any signs of white fuzziness? what is his filter like if you have
he doesn't have any white or fuzziness and I have a filter

I did not see that...that might be a problem then with those frogs lol
yeah but my tank is a lot bigger than that one in the video and I have lots of hiding spots. theyve been fine together for the past 7 months

fishn.rc

whats the perimeters

wolfdog01

Maybe the frogs finally snapped or something lol
What type is the filter? I know with my hang on back the intake was too strong and ripped his tail fin a bit, put a bit of a mesh bag over it and he hasn't gotten any tears since. Or the output might be to strong and it's ripping them. I got a half-moon too so I know their fins are absurd lol

Sea hamster

Quarantine the betta and add fin rot medicine. This way the betta gets cured and the frogs don't get harmed.

wolfdog01

Quarantine the betta and add fin rot medicine. This way the betta gets cured and the frogs don't get harmed.

I don't think it'd jump to meds right away. If you use them for every little thing that goes wrong then you could end up with a bacteria/virus that is immune to medicine, a super bug. Daily water changes is the way to start right now, then if it doesn't get any better we can go from there.

Sea hamster

That works too

junebug

I don't think it'd jump to meds right away. If you use them for every little thing that goes wrong then you could end up with a bacteria/virus that is immune to medicine, a super bug. Daily water changes is the way to start right now, then if it doesn't get any better we can go from there.

The betta is missing part of its mouth. This is not a little thing.

The OP needs to provide numerical readings for the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the tank. A photo wouldn't hurt either.

Additionally, I would suggest separating the betta immediately. If there is a bacterial issue it might affect the frogs. Even if it doesn't, any medications used to treat it almost certainly will.

wolfdog01

Forgot about the mouth bit, couldn't really see anything in the picture so I thought maybe it was just the shape of the mouth that made it look that way. Got too caught up in the fin issue lol

Buganjimo

Anyone know the size of the tank? It might’ve gotten crowded and they fought. 4 frogs sounds like a lot.

kylo ren

Anyone know the size of the tank? It might’ve gotten crowded and they fought. 4 frogs sounds like a lot.

5 gal

Riot Girl

Any updates on the betta

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies
Views
SgtTesla
Replies
Views