my bettas eggs!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by betta2006, Apr 15, 2006.

1. betta2006

betta2006New MemberMember

ssomeone please tell me if this is betta eggs in my tank! ok there is strips of white things as segments my mom said that my bettas were spawining and these white things are round. please help

2. newbie101

newbie101Well Known MemberMember

What size is the tank? Is there just one betta or 2? Are there any snails in the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    betta2006

there is a 1 gallon tank and 2 bettas and no snails

4. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

The chances of the bettas having spawned and the eggs being fertilized are not good unless there is a bubblenest built by the male. It would look like a bunch of big bubbles at the top of your tank. The male deposits the eggs in the bubblenest after they are fertilized and then they begin to develop. If what you have is just "strings of white things" the female may have released her eggs but there was no reaction by the male and they were not fertilized. The process of breeding Bettas is a long one. They have to be conditioned first and then seperated from each other. Then after the eggs have been layed there is another long process of care for the female which demands a hospital tank for her to recuperate in and then a very large tank for the fry to grow up in until they can be sexed. Then the males have to be seperated so they don't kill each other. This means a single container for each male and you still have to maintain a tank for the parents and the large one for the female fry. This also means daily water changes for the big tank where the female fry are and each small jar where you have the male fry. Betta breeding is a very hard job. I would not recommend it unless you have a great deal of space, time and dedication to your fish. It would take hours to do all that work, and since it sounds like you may still be in school, I doubt if you have the time to devote to it.
    Hope this has helped you. I am glad you have Bettas, they are lovely fish; but enjoy them and realize that they are overcrowded in a 1 gallon tank. Each betta needs 5 gallons that means you should be having a 10 gallon tank just for your 2 betta tank. Chances are also that you have not cycled your tank and that it is not heated or filtered. Bettas are Tropical fish and need both of these things and they simply cannot be done in less than 2.5 gallons. There is no dependable heater that will work in less water and no good filter that will work in less than 2 gallons. (that means NO undergravel filters)
    There is a lot you need to know about the care of your Bettas. The requirements for healthy and happy Bettas are:

1) Room to swim and move around - that means NO betta tank or betta bowl. The manufacturer gets a lot of money telling people that Bettas could live in those, but they are impossible for the Betta for live in long. TWO bettas in one cannot possibly survive in one for long.
    2) Heated water - a reliable heater WITH a way of adjusting the temperature. That means that 25 watt is the smallest one you can get. At a suggestion of 10 watts per gallon that means that you cannot have dependable heat in less than a 2.5 gallon tank. (still too crowded for 2 bettas) The heat needs to be kept at 78 - 80 degrees and if your fish becomes ill it will need to be raised to 82 degrees for the medication to take effect. If he has ich then you have to be able to raise the temperature to 85 degrees for 14 days or more.
    3) Filtered water - the water needs to be filtered to remove impurities and the filters need to be cycled to build up bacteria that will deal with ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates that are normal by-products in a fish tanks. If you have a cycled filter and do regular water changes and take good care of your fish, with gravel cleaning (gravel vacuuming) and feeding good food, they have a much better chance at living out their full life cycle.
    4) Right food - the right amount of food is important. More bettas overeat and become sick than any other fish I hear about. They will beg and act hungry, but the rule to feed them all they will eat DOES NOT apply to bettas. They should only be fed 3 - 4 pellets twice a day if you feed pellets or 6 - 7 bloodworms twice a day if you are feeding bloodworms. If bettas are given too much food they will eventually become constipated. Bettas can die of constipation. If they start to "shimmy" when they swim or if they lay around on the bottom of their tank and don't want to swim, they may be constipated. This is usually taken care of my giving them a small piece of defrosted frozen pea. Put a frozen pea (like you get in the grocery store) on a saucer and microwave it for 30 seconds. Take the skin off of it and cut off of it about half the size of the fish's eye. Give it to them on the tip of a plastic spoon or more simply on the tip of your finger.
    5) Access to the surface of the water - the betta is one of the fish who breathe air as well as through their gills and if they cannot get to the top of the water to breathe the air they will drown. That is one reason we recommend an airstone or something to slightly ruffle the top of the water all the time so that a film cannot build up on the top of the water and make it more difficult for them to breathe. The organ they use to breathe is called a labyrinth organ and is located on the top of their head. If you watch your bettas, you will see them come to the top of the water and "butting" the top of the water with their heads. That is the way they breathe. They have to do this.

I know this has been long and I apologize for it, but you need to know how to REALLY take care of your Bettas and this is as good a time as any. Welcome to our group. We will be welcome any time you have a question and I promise not to make any answer I have this long all the time :) .

Rose
    :)

5. OP
    OP
    betta2006

my aquarium is heated and now the female is just sitting there and the male is ignoring her but there is a bubble nest but she has eggs i think. plese help

6. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

A 1 gallon tank is too small to heat safely. The chances of overheating are huge. Is the tank filtered? Also, it is very likely that the male will kill the female. Breeders keep the male and female separated until they are ready to mate, and then remove the female right after or the male will probably kill her in defending his eggs. :( Bettas can't be kept in pairs like gouramis, the males are too territorial and aggressive. For now get a tank divider to separate them. Please get a 5 or 10 gallon tank for each, cycle it fishless, and then move them in. 1 gallon is just too tiny for any fish to live happily in. There is no room to swim around, the water quality deteriorates very rapidly, and there is a much larger chance of shocking the fish if the water added after a water change is slightly different in temp. :( And anyway, the tank is overstocked with 2 fish.

Bettas are great to have but must have a good-sized tank like any other fish. If you get them a bigger home, they will thank you greatly, and you will see a huge change in how perky and active they are. Sorry if this kind of caught you off guard, we just want the best for everyone's fishies. Have fun with your Bettas! :)

7. OP
    OP
    betta2006

:-\ what i am wondreing is if it is eggs i have a 10 gallon but i have a goldfish in it and the bubblenest is next to the filter

8. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

If it is eggs and they are not already in the bubblenest they are dead. The spawning did not work. Don't worry about this one and get them seperated! You are no where near ready to breed bettas! I am sorry but you are going to have to read and study and find out a lot about breeding bettas before you actually try to do it. I have many hours of betta study behind me and I would never try it. You do not have the equipment to raise a brood of fry. That would include a tank of at least 55 gallons for a grow up tank until you can seperate the males out into their jars. From the day they hatch until the day you have them grown they need DAILY 50% water changes in all the containers you have fry in. That includes the growth tank and when you remove the males, each and every jar you have a betta in. That also means that it takes a LOT of room, many ways to keep containers warm and filtered, (the pros have special set-ups they use to keep several fish filtered and heated off one filter and heater without being stressed by seeing each other constantly) There is a lot to take into consideration and it does not sound like you are prepared to handle it. So I would suggest you let the bettas be seperated and keep them that way. The females will release her eggs periodically but they will not be fertilized and will be filtered out of your tank without harm to any of your fish.

Hope this has been helpful.

Rose
    :)