My betta won't stop swimming till it's out of breath

Blueberrina

I recently got my fifth betta fish out of six, however this one seems to have a problem. It's a koi that won't stop swimming against the glass (glass surfing) although i had her for about a week now. I got another betta today but shes more calm than the koi. My other 4 bettas are all relaxed but this one wont stop glass surfing.

I set the tank to cycle and I do water changes almost every 2-3 days, the ammonia is low and so are the nitrates. I don't think its the water or setting because shes in a 5 gallon tank but maybe her temperament or somethings wrong with her? She won't even stop to explore or anything

Fishstery

You say ammonia is low, but it should always be 0. What are your exact readings for ammonia and nitrite?

Rose of Sharon

Are you adding a water conditioner, like Prime?

Any thing else in the tank with her?

Are there very bright lights? Is her tank right next to another one with other bettas that she can see?

Sometimes it does take them time to settle down.

Blueberrina

Its just her in the tank and i didnt turn on any lights so she can calm down. I did add water conditioner and a indian almond leaf and she cant see other bettas. I do the same with the others but shes just built different
You say ammonia is low, but it should always be 0. What are your exact readings for ammonia and nitrite
Sorry I meant the ammonia and nitrites are 0

Fishstery

Its just her in the tank and i didnt turn on any lights so she can calm down. I did add water conditioner and a indian almond leaf and she cant see other bettas. I do the same with the others but shes just built different

Sorry I meant the ammonia and nitrites are 0
It's probably just because she's still adjusting. If you don't currently, I suggest adding some floating plants for her. Frogbit is a betta favorite because of its long roots to hang out in, guppy grass, moss, ancharis maybe. Just something to hang out in at the surface of the water and provide some shade. Some bettas really appreciate having things to lounge around and hide in. That may help her relax and give her some enrichment to explore.

Melina1020

My betta glass surfed for two months before finally settling down and chill in his 10gal tank. As long as the water parameter is in check everything should be fine. You can dim the light a little or add some IAL to the tank to relieve some of its stress.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Doom
  • Question
Replies
Views
thatfishlover122
Replies
Views
TropicalFlow