My betta won't rebuild his bubble nest.

1. Katesfish Initiate Member

I got my new fish a few days ago. I have a boy and a girl. I know you can't put them together until they are ready to breed. So, I have them in a small tank with a divider in the middle, so they can still see each other. Well, two days after I got them, my boy made a bubble nest. It was a fairly large one, too. Eventually, I had to clean out the tank (there was bits of unbeaten food and stuff at the bottom), so I had to destroy the bubble nest. It has been several days now, and he will not build another one. He can still see the girl, but he just won't build a nest. Why won't he? And, os there anything I could do to make him? I really want him to be happy, and I would like to breed them eventually. I appreciate any help. And, I am sorry if someone else has already asked this question.
    Thanks!

2. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

I see you don't know about the Nitrogen Cycle. I suggest you read up on it as it's the most important thing about fishkeeping.

I also see that your bettas are in a 1 gallon tank. 1 gallon is WAY to small for even one betta, not to mention two. They need a minimum of 2.5 gallons each.

I don't recommend breeding bettas. It is very difficult and very time consuming. You need to be able to house all the male babies separately and keep all the water clean. It's just not something for a beginner.

Sorry if i sounded a little harsh.

Hope you enjoy the forum!

3. Katesfish Initiate Member

Thank you very much. I am going right now to look up the nitrogen cycle. You didn't sound too harsh. Also, if some of my questions are really dumb, (just for the record) I am only twelve, and not very experienced. Thanks for your help!

4. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Your welcome!

No question is a dumb question.

I'm 16 and I just started fish keeping last year. I found that the best way to learn is ask as many questions as possible on here!

5. thorneinmyside Initiate Member

FYI you can keep baby male bettas together their whole lives if you never separate them for even a day.

6. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I respectfully disagree.

As the males get older, many of them start flailing at each other and getting aggressive, even if they were never separated. Sometimes females even need to be separated.

7. thorneinmyside Initiate Member

I was just speaking from experience. Ive bred bettas for about 2 1/2 years. i do actually have two female atm that i have to separate though, but i bought them not bred them

8. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I agree that it does happen, but most of the time, some will need to be separated.