My Betta Won't Eat Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by forestwind1234, Apr 13, 2018.

1. forestwind1234

forestwind1234 Valued Member Member

I've had this fish for about a year now, and I've been trying really hard to be a good parent for it. He is in a 5 gallon filtered, heated tank.
    I noticed a few months ago that he was getting kind of chubby and so I cut back on his food.
    Cut to now- he's gotten really skinny and lethargic. Every time I come up to the tank he begs for food and I try to feed him, but it seems like he can't see or can't find the food. This morning he actually jumped out of the water at my hand, but didn't eat any of the food I put in. I am going to try again when I get home to see if he'll eat.
    Should I start trying to feed him more than once a day, or later in the day?
    Right now I get up when it is still dark out and have to leave for school. I can feed him when I get home or after dinner, when he is more active, and this was my plan, but I wanted some extra advice.

tl;dr - I am going to change my feeding time for my fish so that he eats more, but I'm worried about how skinny he got and need to know what I can do to get him more active.

2. Gdpierce79

Gdpierce79 Valued Member Member

Hey! I’m sorry to hear about your fish. Have you tried feeding him other foods? Try bloodworms. Almost all fish eat them. Or, you could blanch something (boil a piece of vegetable and then cool it down. Put it where he can get to it)
    Also, are there any plants in your tank? I have a honey gourami who only eats dead plant matter. He literally won’t eat any food I give him. However, I see him poop and eat the algae, etc.

3. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Try different foods, also frozen foods. I had a betta who would only eat one kind of food and they can never resist the taste of frozen foods.

4. Gdpierce79

Gdpierce79 Valued Member Member

Unless it is my honey gourami. Lol

5. L

LucineT Valued Member Member

Bigger flakes or pellets for him to nibble on maybe? But then you'd have to fish up the uneaten bits after he's done. Or if your fish is chill, let him sit in a net and feed him inside it? Smaller space, harder to miss the food?

6. OP
    OP
    forestwind1234

I feed him a mixture of freeze-dried bloodworms and pellets.
    I'm worried about putting him in a net because when he was little I accidentally tore off part of his dorsal fin trying to net him out of the tank to clean it, so I'm really worried about it and he doesn't like being netted. I could try to scoop him into a glass to feed him though. (he doesn't mind that)
    My parents wouldn't let me keep frozen foods in our freezer since it'd very cramped.

7. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I'd try using a pipette or chopstick to stick the pellets to and feed him that way. I've got a nearly blind betta that only eats from a pipette. For a while he'd only accept frozen brine shrimp but I finally got him back on pellets.

Frozen foods come in small packages, I've probably got 3 types stacked in freezer door right now. Never had a fish refuse brine shrimp, blood worms on the other hand only about half my bettas will eat them.

8. OP
    OP
    forestwind1234

Okay thanks :)
    Do you think I could get brine shrimp at petco/petland?
    The only LFS in my area has... questionable reviews.
    I think that part of the reason he has trouble eating is because of how early I wake up. I'm going to start feeding him later in the day, and over the summer I get up around 7 or 8 so he'll already be moving around.

9. OP
    OP
    forestwind1234

I fed when I got home yesterday and he ate a whole bunch, and this morning I fed him more also so he's swimming around the surface looking for the rest of it. His tummy is already looking a lot fuller. Hopefully soon his whole body will get more full.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice