My betta tried to eat my finger

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For the past month or two I have been feeding my bettas, GBR, and angelfish by hand so they would stop jumping out of the water. I fed my bettas earlier today, and later I was picking a few pieces of floating dead leaves. I paused for a second and the next thing I noticed was my black orchid crowntail latched onto my finger . He actually held on for a few seconds since I didn't want to shake him off. I was use to them pecking at my fingers, but not this. So, if bettas could talk and someone asked "would you bite the hand that feeds you", this betta would say yes .

Has anyone else had something like this happen, betta or not?

totes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My platys would try to peck at my finger when I would put the test tube in the tank, but they wouldn't ever latch.

Cute story though!

nippybetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Someone was talking about how when they were raising Tilapia, they got bit, and it really hurt to get bit by a 10 inch fish! For me, it's just nibbling out of my hand.

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It was the weirdest feeling to have this tiny fish latched on, but it was funny. I'm still lost as to how he opened his mouth far enough though. I couldn't imagine being bit by a larger fish like a tilapia . Someone at a LFS showed me cuts in the shape of a tiny mouth on his arm after being bit by some sort of cichlid. Then again he told me that it dug up the plants he had in the tank just so it could bite him...I've never heard of fish doing this on purpose lol.

MMJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thats really the most weird thing I have ever heard or thought of..

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My tiger barbs used to do that whenever I put my hand in the tank! And it hurt too!
They would try and eat anything that floated down in the tank -

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was holding a special treat of ocean shrimp for my mom's green spotted puffer, Kirby. Usually I can feed him from my hand but I failed to drop it when he nibbled it, so he came around, eyed one of my fingers, and then bit it. XD Ouch! That was a hard pinch!

oscarsbud

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've never had mine actually latch on, but one time when I was feeding Simon, one of my bettas, I opened the lid and put my hand down to drop in the pellets and he practically leaped into my hand. Scared the daylights out of me. If I had been holding my hand palm up I would have had a handful of betta. He is such a goof sometimes.

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've never had mine actually latch on, but one time when I was feeding Simon, one of my bettas, I opened the lid and put my hand down to drop in the pellets and he practically leaped into my hand. Scared the daylights out of me. If I had been holding my hand palm up I would have had a handful of betta. He is such a goof sometimes.
Lol Mordin has a nibble at my engagement ring every now and again and bit my brother once but that was his own fault I told him not to put his finger in there Mordin hates it when his tank is messed with

Malcolm used to be the proper biter I had to be quick when feeding bloo worms as I used to feed him by hand and if I wasn't paying attention I would get a betta as a finger accessory lol.

My endlers always go for my hands if I put them in the tank but it doesn't hurt it tickles if anything and my gourami Liara joins in too. What can I say I have a bunch of aquatic maniacs lol

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was holding a special treat of ocean shrimp for my mom's green spotted puffer, Kirby. Usually I can feed him from my hand but I failed to drop it when he nibbled it, so he came around, eyed one of my fingers, and then bit it. XD Ouch! That was a hard pinch!
Haha, that is an awesome name for a puffer . Given their diet, I bet they would have a pretty good bite. I'm going to keep this in mind if I ever have puffers.

Lol, he must have thought you were taking too long to give him his food .

Lol Mordin has a nibble at my engagement ring every now and again and bit my brother once but that was his own fault I told him not to put his finger in there Mordin hates it when his tank is messed with

Malcolm used to be the proper biter I had to be quick when feeding bloo worms as I used to feed him by hand and if I wasn't paying attention I would get a betta as a finger accessory lol.

My endlers always go for my hands if I put them in the tank but it doesn't hurt it tickles if anything and my gourami Liara joins in too. What can I say I have a bunch of aquatic maniacs lol
Magoo, the stories you have about Mordin, along with the pictures, always crack me up and I am glad you share them here . He just seems like a really oddball betta, but there is nothing wrong with that. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a biting betta.

Your endlers and gourami sound like my rasboras and GBR. If one part of my finger goes into the tank it disappears in a ball of fish. Then my GBR rams her way into the center lol. For such a small fish, she is really brave.

Anyway, I have come to the conclusion that bettas and all other fish are always going to be full of surprises, but that is what makes them fun, right? For example, seeing videos of blood parrots and their behavior is just odd, but it always looks like they are smiling while doing it .

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've never had the full latch on but my daughter always asks me to let the fishies eat her fingers. She loves to have me hold her up so she can dip them in the 55g and the angels and barbs all nibble at her little fingers while she busts up laughing.

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
HAHA. You're goofy!

My Oscar comes flying out of the water when it's feeding time. I have to be fast or he'll bite me, finger doesn't even need to be in the tank.

My Jack Dempsey has bitten me a couple of times, that actually hurts. He's got teeth and a very bony jaw.

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is 100 percent my fault. Every time they would come up they would eat the food the very last one actually bit me. The music probally didnt help and i was watching another fish and forgot my hand was in the tank.
The commentary was hilarious, and the music just seemed like something that would be in jaws. That last one really got you good though .

luke355027355027

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The commentary was hilarious, and the music just seemed like something that would be in jaws. That last one really got you good though .
It bled a little bit.

The same oscar when it was smaller i opened the lid after coming home from a five day trip. I got the food out and he jumped out of the tank hit my chest and plopped back into the tank.

And besides that i get splashed almost weekly when there eating

The music was jaws my friend had it playing through his phone.

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It bled a little bit.

The same oscar when it was smaller i opened the lid after coming home from a five day trip. I got the food out and he jumped out of the tank hit my chest and plopped back into the tank.

And besides that i get splashed almost weekly when there eating

The music was jaws my friend had it playing through his phone.
Wow, I actually never knew oscars did any of this, let alone moving fast enough to jump out of the tank. I haven't watched jaws in a while, so the theme music has been forgotten (or so I thought).

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oscars remind me a little of mafia bosses with their attitudes XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 18 26.1%