My betta tank stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by I keep fish, Mar 31, 2012.

1. I keep fish

I keep fishWell Known MemberMember

Im going to be getting a betta once my cycle completes which may take awhile. But I want to know what I can put with Him or her idk.I see people put adf's with them does that depend on the betta? or will they not bother them? Help me out can I put 2 ADF in a 5.5 Gallon tank with a betta?

2. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Yes and no :D It really does depend on the betta. Some bettas are really mellow and don't care. Others my try to kill anything in the tank. You always need a backup plan when trying to add things in with a betta.

3. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

Thats what I thought.Thanks Cichlidnut for the advice :D

4. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

I would say no. Its too space constricting imo. The smaller the space, the more likely the ADF will be shredded. Unfortunetly even a good betta can snap under constant pressure of having frogs in his small territory. Theres nothing wrong with a 5.5 its just that the smaller the territory the more heavily defended it gets.

5. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I know there will be people too disagree with that.

I have 2 ADF's with a betta in a 15 gallon. They have room to get away from each other and it seems to be working well. Sol does make a good point. You have no idea if or when your betta decides it doesn't like frogs.

6. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

I get your peeps point I will consider it greatly.

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

I agree, if you have the backup plan or at least a place to put one or the other for a bit if things go wrong then yeah go for it.

Personally I think that anything less than 10 is a bit small for multiple ADF's.

8. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

god and forbid your betta is french.....

9. cameronpalteValued MemberMember

It depends on your beta. As the above stated, it may be fine or not. I recommend in a 5.5, just keep 1 beta, and maybe 1-2 red cherry shrimp.

10. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

Beta's will likely eat RCS

11. andrearamirezo91

andrearamirezo91Well Known MemberMember

There is a post I made some time ago asking the same thing and I got a pretty good reply, I´m gonna look for it to see if I can paste it here or give you the URL, but the mayority of the replies I got said it was better not to put them together. Im about to set up a betta tank too and was thinking of some tankmates, but I was also told they´d eat shrimp.. I wanted to put a couple ghost shrimp there but I guess they´d eat them too right? I used to have some ottos in with my last betta and they did great together, stayed out of each other´s ways and those ottos sure helped keep the tank clean! :)

12. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

I also heard ghost shrimp will nip the betta's tail which you dont want

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice