My betta tank stocking

1. I keep fish

I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Im going to be getting a betta once my cycle completes which may take awhile. But I want to know what I can put with Him or her idk.I see people put adf's with them does that depend on the betta? or will they not bother them? Help me out can I put 2 ADF in a 5.5 Gallon tank with a betta?

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Yes and no :D It really does depend on the betta. Some bettas are really mellow and don't care. Others my try to kill anything in the tank. You always need a backup plan when trying to add things in with a betta.

3. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

Thats what I thought.Thanks Cichlidnut for the advice :D

4. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I would say no. Its too space constricting imo. The smaller the space, the more likely the ADF will be shredded. Unfortunetly even a good betta can snap under constant pressure of having frogs in his small territory. Theres nothing wrong with a 5.5 its just that the smaller the territory the more heavily defended it gets.

5. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I know there will be people too disagree with that.

I have 2 ADF's with a betta in a 15 gallon. They have room to get away from each other and it seems to be working well. Sol does make a good point. You have no idea if or when your betta decides it doesn't like frogs.

6. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

I get your peeps point I will consider it greatly.

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, if you have the backup plan or at least a place to put one or the other for a bit if things go wrong then yeah go for it.

Personally I think that anything less than 10 is a bit small for multiple ADF's.

8. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

god and forbid your betta is french.....

9. c

cameronpalte Valued Member Member

It depends on your beta. As the above stated, it may be fine or not. I recommend in a 5.5, just keep 1 beta, and maybe 1-2 red cherry shrimp.

10. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

Beta's will likely eat RCS

11. andrearamirezo91

andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

There is a post I made some time ago asking the same thing and I got a pretty good reply, I´m gonna look for it to see if I can paste it here or give you the URL, but the mayority of the replies I got said it was better not to put them together. Im about to set up a betta tank too and was thinking of some tankmates, but I was also told they´d eat shrimp.. I wanted to put a couple ghost shrimp there but I guess they´d eat them too right? I used to have some ottos in with my last betta and they did great together, stayed out of each other´s ways and those ottos sure helped keep the tank clean! :)

12. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

I also heard ghost shrimp will nip the betta's tail which you dont want