My Betta Story

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Mecha, Mar 31, 2010.

1. M

Mecha New Member Member

Hey everyone, great community you have here!

I've been a bit of a lurker over the past few weeks as one of my three bettas was sick (turned out to be velvet disease) and thanks to some info here he is still with me :).

I was fed the same bull when I bought my first betta that they do well in vases and don't need any aeration/filtration. I thought... Maybe the latter is true but I'm sure a little space would be nice?? I passed on the 1.5L vase I was offered and bought (what I thought!) was a generous 10L sized tank for the little guy I chose. They all looked half dead in tiny cups, I felt so bad for them!

Jaws (he always looks up then slowly rises when food is on the surface) looked like he was doing really well, always had plenty of bubbles and was very active, so I decided to get another (and another). After reading how to cure Jaws I also got onto reading about tank setups, the tank cycle etc and started to feel guilty.. 10L isn't as much as I thought! I tried to give them interesting tanks with the limited space and switch them around when I clean them, and they always had plenty of bubbles so I was none the wiser..

After much research I've ordered 3 20L (I think that's about 5g?) tanks with full aeration/filtration and heating which should get here next week, thanks for steering me in the right direction all!

Stanley (Orange), Jaws (With the log) and Norman (With the rock)

Attached Files:

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    Your boys are cuties, thanks for sharing their pictures. :)
    The forum is full of bettaholics! lol

3. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Imma steal Norman! He looks almost exactly like my old man, Edward, that I lost last month (he got dropsy and he was just too old to fight it off).

Their little tanks look cute! Hopefully you can decorate their nice, new, big tanks similarly. :)

Oh, and WELCOME TO FISH LORE!! :D :D :D

4. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Nice story...Handsome boys too...What are those tanks they are in? I've never seen anything like that...

5. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Those are neat tanks :)
    Gorgeous boys as well!

6. hooxeii

hooxeii Well Known Member Member

What handsome boys! Glad to hear you've done your research and given them such a wonderful home :)

7. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i know, i,too, was mislead with the "betta myth"....it's very annoying. i have learned things along the way as you have. luckily for this forum i have learned a lot! it's a great place. your boys are pretty :) i think all bettas are pretty, no matter if they are show quality or not. :D

8. OP
    OP
    M

Mecha New Member Member

Thanks all :). The tanks are the biggest the fish shop had with their 'betta startup pack', they're basically just rectangular bowls with loose lids and some decor I chose.

When the new tanks arrive I think they'll all have sand substrate... One with a driftwood type look, a sunken ship/plane, can't decide on the third just yet :p.

I haven't seen any other bettas like my boy Stanley, his dorsal fin has been bent over since the day I got him, like free willy :p.

9. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

Hi! and welcome to Fish Lore Mecha! Your boys are beauties! I agree, it's so sad to see those beautiful fish cooped up in those tiny, cramped bowls. :'( I love your decor! I have a hard time arranging my tank attractively. Maybe you could have a castle in the third tank. I really like Jaws! I have a soft spot for blue bettas, cuz my first Betta was blue. Glad to hear you did some research. I started doing research too, but only after my blue betta had died. I feel guilty about him. Good luck with the new tanks!

10. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Welcome, nice fish! 2 of my boys are in 14l tanks, they love them. The other 3 are in a divided tank and are settling good!

I can't wait to see your bigger tanks when they arrive, and one of mines loves his castle, so I recommend one too. He slept in it for a while before deciding he likes to sleep at the top of his heater instead... Silly boy!!

11. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Mecha and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Thanks for sharing your Bettas with us. They are all beautiful! Please keep us updated.
    Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice