My Betta Plans

Jake the Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I woke up this morning and I turned on the light on my 10 gallon tank. Then I got an idea. I thought I should make my 10 gallon tank into a divided betta tank (5g each). I realised it wouldn't work as my filter wouldn't be good enough, then it came to me. Aquaone internal filters! So when all my fish pass away I'm going to get a divider, 2 internal filters and 2 bettas.

How does this sound?
Could I improve anything?

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm sure you're excited for the bettas but you're also looking forward to your current fish dying? Why not just start a new 10g tank and carry out your betta plans with that?

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't think he is looking forward to it, just planning These are things I do as well.

I think it sounds like a good plan but you have to watch bettas like a hawk, if they are at all aggresive you might not want to keep them in a divided tank as they'll find a way to jump IMO

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

gzarr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I divided my 10G 3-ways and I ended up putting a lone filter in one of the apartments. It is a Penguin 100 for up to 20G tanks so the flow was too strong for the bettas. I ended up taking an extra filter pad off the plastic back and rubberbanding it to the outflow so the current was weaker and diffused. I put the betta who actually likes to swim in a current in that apartment and the other two are just happy in their more still water. The dividers I used were from a LFS and they actually fit all the way up to the top and almost meet the glass top so there is no way those fish will jump over!

Here is a pic:

Attachments

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nice tank Gzarr. Jake...400liters an hour is like 105gals per hour....on a 10gallon tank...that is what I have to say..well then. IMO

Last edited:

rae64

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
105 gallons per hour seems appropriate in my opinion, that is turning the tank volume over 10 times an hour. 10 times volume is what I have in all my tanks, including my divided betta tank, and all seems to be well.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I only run 10times an hour on my larger tanks. I like to keep things clamer in my betta tanks...maybe I should throw in an IMO...lol

Jake the Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am still not sure about the filter. I'll look around a bit more and try to find one thats not as strong.

gzarr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks, Furallicah! I guess I was under the impression that you can't have too much filtration, as long as your fish aren't in a whirlpool!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What an image lol!
I also had to attach an extra sponge to my outflow as turning down the flow meant that there was almost no water running through the filter lol! It works great and is almost non visible from looking at the tank the way it is positioned.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Jake,

I hope you can find a way to house some Bettas if this is what you want to do. One filter for a divided tank should be enough. You wouldn't need a filter for each compartment. I have an Aqua Clear 20 on my Betta tank (Wriggley) 100gph and the tank is 6.6g. I only use it on the lowest flow control and I simply cut another filter sponge to fit in the out flow section of the filter to slow the current down even more. Bettas do like calm water.

Ken

Jake the Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I did some more research and have a better plan now.
1. Get the dividers with the holes in it.
2. Divide it into 3 (5g at front, two 2.5g at back)
3. White Cloud Minnows in 5g
4. 1 betta in each 2.5g.

Does this sound better?

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your Bettas like to be hotter than the minnows. The minnows would be cramped too. And I have Betta's in 20 litre tanks and they cover the whole territory and love it. They are active enough to be interesting for a 20 litre tank. Just my opinion but I would just divide it two ways and keep Bettas.
Also I am not a fan of the Aquaone internal filters. I have two that I got in kits and they generate a lot of flow but don't keep the water very clean. I use them to create some current to keep my danios amused. The danios love it

Jake the Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not going to get the filters anymore. Just going to get the dividers that have the holes in them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom