My betta Marvin is acting odd

vanessavanderelst

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Marvin is my first fish. My veil tail Betta Marvin has popeye, I thought I had got rid of it and then it came back so I am being extremely thorough with treatments and water changes.
I am making this post because he is seeming to improve, however his behaviour has changed over the last 3 days. He normally is very active and when he gets bored of swimming he will hang out at the top of the tank, these past few days he has been hanging out at the bottom of his tank as well as glass surfing, it looks like he is trying to scratch his eye against the glass which worries me. ive tried to google for answers but there is SO much info, I’m hoping someone can give me some some estimates based on past experience of dealing with popeye in bettas as to why he’s hanging out at the bottom of his tank, and maybe why he’s scratching or if I can reduce his discomfort at all.

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
vanessavanderelst said:
Marvin is my first fish. My veil tail Betta Marvin has popeye, I thought I had got rid of it and then it came back so I am being extremely thorough with treatments and water changes.
I am making this post because he is seeming to improve, however his behaviour has changed over the last 3 days. He normally is very active and when he gets bored of swimming he will hang out at the top of the tank, these past few days he has been hanging out at the bottom of his tank as well as glass surfing, it looks like he is trying to scratch his eye against the glass which worries me. ive tried to google for answers but there is SO much info, I’m hoping someone can give me some some estimates based on past experience of dealing with popeye in bettas as to why he’s hanging out at the bottom of his tank, and maybe why he’s scratching or if I can reduce his discomfort at all.
The popeye is due to bad water conditions. Filter? Water parameters?

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What is the tank size, what are the water parameters, was the tank cyed?

Your profile says you don't know about the nitrogen cycle so I'm assuming that the tank wasn't and possibly isn't cycled. This leads to poor water quality which is the number one cause of pretty much all possible problems that these behaviours are symptoms of.

OP
V

vanessavanderelst

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sprinkle said:
The popeye is due to bad water conditions. Filter? Water parameters?
He has a 3.5 gal with a filter, I tested his ph not long ago and it was around 7.5, on the 18th I cleaned his tank and did 100% water change. I was concerned about leaving old water because of bacteria, but should I have left water, like 10 %?

SoldSpartan said:
Pictures would be nice.
Salem said:
What is the tank size, what are the water parameters, was the tank cyed?

Your profile says you don't know about the nitrogen cycle so I'm assuming that the tank wasn't and possibly isn't cycled. This leads to poor water quality which is the number one cause of pretty much all possible problems that these behaviours are symptoms of.
Ok that is super helpful, do you have basic steps to cycling the tank, or am I safe to watch a YouTube video?

Attachments

OP
V

vanessavanderelst

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
vanessavanderelst said:
Ok that is super helpful, do you have basic steps to cycling the tank, or am I safe to watch a YouTube video?
Tank is 3.5 gal, with a filter. I have not yet changed them as I was told to wait until they are falling apart. I kinda shook them out when I cleaned my tank on Jan 18.

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay so there are lots of tutorials on how to cycle a tank. You will want to look for ones on how to do a fish-in cycle. Hes acting this way because of ammonia in the tank building up from his waste. You will need a test kit (preferably liquid because strips are known to be inaccurate) that tests ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. You will need to be doing very regular changes, probably once every other day because of how small the tank is.

In the future never do a 100% change. There is bacteria in the tank or at least there should be and you really shoukdn't try to remove it. That bacteria is what keeps him and the water safe.

You really don't need to shake out or clean the filter media unless its really nasty or it has charcoal/carbon in it. If it does have charcoal you will want to make sure you remove the charcoal after at most 2 months. This is because it will begin to leech out everything it has sucked in. A filter also does not need carbon unless you have used medications and are trying to remove them from the water column.

OP
V

vanessavanderelst

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow that is extremely helpful, thank you for that information! I will definitely look up fish-in cycle videos and get a testing kit. I have not changed water since the 18th so I will do that today as I have pre cycled water handy.

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That is a too small tank for him. Bettas need atleast a 5 gallon one or more would be even better. You really should cycle his tank as rising ammonia will slowly kill your betta and is actually lethal to fish.

OP
V

vanessavanderelst

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have bought myself a master testing kit to test all the levels so I can manage his current tank while I get a 10 gal ready and cycled for him. I appreciate all the help here, I honestly had no idea about cycling which I’m extremely embarrassed about, so again I appreciate all the notes!

New Threads