My betta made his bubble nest how long does it last?

o0Faraz0o
yea he made a bubble nest and 2morrow ill go see if I can find him a girlfriend so they can mate but I was wondering how long it would last because its going to take sometime to introduce her to him so no fighting so guys how long does he keep on making the bubble nest?

Chief_waterchanger
Bubblenests last until they are broken apart either by the fish, filter, human interference.

We've had bubblenests that lasted more than a week.

If you put the two bettas in side by side containers/tanks he may increase the size of the bubblenests, but there is no way to tell, some males like the small compact ones, some males will cover half a 10 gallon tank's watersurface with bubbles.. just a play by ear kinda thing. (I guess play by eye in this situation )

capekate
( a little bit..)
I have three ten gal tanks side by side. The middle tank is divided with two females and on each side of them are my two males. Its funny that in the 6 months or so that I have had them, neither of the males have ever built a bubblenest. Is this common?

In answer to your post are you ready for a breeding between the bettas? It is quite the large project that you may be getting yourself into. I personally would never let my bettas mate.

~ kate

COBettaCouple
Bettas make bubble nests for a variety of reasons, even weather can cause it. A breeding of Betta Splendens requires a lot of time, money and space as well as a good deal of planning. If not properly conditioned for breeding, they will fight and perhaps both die.

Chief_waterchanger
I read in a published article on betta splendens, can't remember the source, that they have color preferences as to what they like to build bubblenests under. (Probably due to the types of leafs/foliage that may float on the surface in their native habitate.) But they prefer yellow, will do alright with green and red, and absolutely hate blue. So waterlettuce has worked great for Dino and I to get our bettas nesting. (It is green and as the leaves die it turns yellow.)

Again, that is just one study on the betta splendens, it may not hold true in most or all circumstances, just another tidbit of info to put out there.

Barbrella
From your question, I'm assuming you haven't done a ton of research, learned everything you need to know about breeding bettas and have lots of tanks and jars around to raise the fry and meds in case male and female get ripped up or seriously injured?

o0Faraz0o
well no that u guys say it like that I did change my mind and I couldn't find a female anyway pheww I was just thinking cause umm my cousin breeds them and he said for some reason brother and sisters don't seem to fight if they are grown up 2geather and he had given me like 2 x 5 gallon tanks for the fry I had a good idea of what I was doing but well I did the research on this site and other but non seem to say how long the fish is in the mode to breed so I thought u guys would know.... but doesn't matter ill use the 2 5 gallons on the platy frys

ah and I forgot to ask his always like makes him self look big just like there about to fight I was thinking his just trying to present him self for the females but there's no ones around kind seems crazy

Chief_waterchanger
He flares for both females and to scare predators. If you put objects near the tank he may find them to be predators. My dad is enthralled with a betta we set up in a small tank for him, the betta flares when he puts his nose near the glass, because his nose flares slightly (I assume) the betta feels the need to flare back. A small mirror will produce the same affect.

I also have been told by reputable sources that if you raise the betta fry together they won't really have problems until they get old enough to breed. So you could probably sell them before that point.

LuvaBetta
I think Bo, my at-work fishie just likes to flare. He'll flare for me if I'm looking at him from up close, but he'll also dance to catch my attention; when I glance over he'll flare at me to bring me over.

Tazmiche
One of ours flares if he doesn't like my outfit that day and if I sing! The other male has only just learnt how to flare soooooo cute as he looks slightly confused by his own actions!! My girl flares too if cheesed off!!

I wouldn't breed if I were you, my boys build nests all the time, they seem happy and it would be a shame to jump in as a novice and spoil things for them. Just my thoughts anyway, I feel the temptation to breed too but stop and think of THEIR welfare.

pamd
Unless you know completely what you're doing, please don't breed. There are already too many little lost souls in fish heaven with inborn diseases bred by people who don't know what they're doing or are motivated by dollars. Big companies like Wal-mart might buy 'em up and/or import them as older adolescents, but please don't contribute to making a single fish succumb, or a fish lover cry at the inevitable loss.

Barbrella
Unless you know completely what you're doing, please don't breed. There are already too many little lost souls in fish heaven with inborn diseases bred by people who don't know what they're doing or are motivated by dollars. Big companies like Wal-mart might buy 'em up and/or import them as older adolescents, but please don't contribute to making a single fish succumb, or a fish lover cry at the inevitable loss.

This bears repeating!

Ciarra Mcneil
I am just so excited!! had my betta for about a week and he just blew his first bubble nest with me!

JoshM
Congrats! It usually means he's ready to breed

stillmefromtheotherworld
Yay! How big is it?

Ciarra Mcneil
its medium and its along the side of the tank

Vasalissa
That's always exciting!
As JoshM said it can mean your betta is ready to breed. Also says that your betta is happy and relaxed in the tank and environment you have him in

asherjellyfish
That's always exciting!
As JoshM said it can mean your betta is ready to breed. Also says that your betta is happy and relaxed in the tank and environment you have him in

Hmm, I was under the impression the 'happy/healthy/relaxed' part of that was a misconception. Not that they aren't, just that bubble nests themselves specifically are not always an indicator of that. https://scalestails.tumblr.com/post/53150684212/betta-myths-debunked

junebug
It's a sign of aggression :/ is he near a reflective surface? I'm assuming you don't have a girl in the tank with him... my bettas who were in a keeper with a clear divider for a while built new nests every day because they were showing off to each other.

Aquarist
Hello,

Invalid link in post #8 above. You can use the EDIT feature for corrections.

Ken

mg13
Yay!! I love it when my boy makes one. releves any usless stress I have about him. He always looks at me and says as clear as day " I told you there's nothing wrong with me!" lol

Congrats!

Ciarra Mcneil
no he is not near anything reflective, its just him in the tank by himself

alyymarie
Regardless of what they mean, I think bubble nests are so neat! My boy makes a big one every once in a while, not sure what drives him to. He is very aggressive and territorial, but he's by himself.
But it's fun watching him do it. I always feel bad when I do a water change and have to mess it up lol

Graphix
Regardless of what they mean, I think bubble nests are so neat! My boy makes a big one every once in a while, not sure what drives him to. He is very aggressive and territorial, but he's by himself.
But it's fun watching him do it. I always feel bad when I do a water change and have to mess it up lol

I feel the same way! The bubble often gets on my hands and feels weird. I actually try to put it back but it's hard.

alyymarie
I feel the same way! The bubble often gets on my hands and feels weird. I actually try to put it back but it's hard.
Right? It's kinda slimy. Haha I tried to put it back together yesterday, he didn't look very pleased though.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bithimala
Replies
Views
Hayli
Top Bottom