My Betta Jumped... What Now? 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by forestwind1234, Jan 18, 2019.

1. forestwind1234Valued MemberMember

My betta jumped out of my tank last night, and I didn't notice until this morning, when he was long gone. :(
    I had just bought a new heater for him, so I'm kind of upset about that.
    I'm going to be moving to college in about six months, so I'm sort of conflicted about getting another fish. I have a 5 gallon tank with a lid, silk plants, and a large hide. It has a 50W heater and a sponge filter as well, but I have a HOB with much stronger flow.
    Should I get another fish? My mom wants me to think about it over the weekend before going to get another fish, but I don't know if I should get a new one at all. I put some fish food in the tank to build ammonia so that my cycle won't crash, just in case.
    Does anyone have any stocking suggestions? Should I tear down the tank?

2. forestwind1234Valued MemberMember

3. Annie59Valued MemberMember

Unless your planning on taking the fish with you I wouldn't. Mainly because your mom doesn't sound thrilled about it and would have to take care of it after you left.
    If that is true it wouldn't be fair to your mom or fish.
    Unless I'm understanding it wrong :)

4. Guppy_Lover713Valued MemberMember

Since your moving to college soon, I'd suggest getting a fish that has a shorter lifespan. Bettas live 3-5 years, while guppies only live for 1-2 years, maybe 3. So I would get a male guppy or two, unless you don't want anymore fish.

5. forestwind1234Valued MemberMember

My mom actually really likes my tank and was for me getting another fish. I'm the hesitant one.

I was thinking that too. I just have heard about guppies being hard to keep since they are such big ammonia producers and tend to have shoddy breeding.
    I was particularly interested in Killifish since they are annual fish, and if I got a full grown male it would probably only live another six months.

6. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

I'd get another betta. Bettas are resilient and guppies sometimes can be aggressive

7. forestwind1234Valued MemberMember

The problem is that bettas can live like five years, and I don't want to have to re-home it when I move for college.
    My parents have taken care of my fish for me while I was traveling over the summer, but I don't want to make them take care of it full time when I move.
    I am considering waiting until I move into my dorm next semester to restart the tank.

8. forestwind1234Valued MemberMember

I think I'm going to look for killifish at my lfs next week, and if I can't find one I'll get a male guppy.

9. 12Cin12Valued MemberMember

It's only 5 gallons, though. If youre not moving far away, then why not just take it with you? That's what we did for my daughter. She has a Fluval spec 5, so it was fairly easy. We just bagged up the betta in one bag, the shrimp and snails in another and off we went! It was really no biggie.

10. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Unless your mom is going to do water changes every week, and get fish sitters if she wants to take a long holiday, I wouldn't get another fish.

11. FishcatWell Known MemberMember

If you’re hesitant, don’t get another fish. Your mother could always start her own tank with your help, and you can get another fish when you feel ready - there’s not going to be a fish shortage between now and then. There’s no hurry about this decision.
    You mentioned that you have considered waiting until you move into your dorm. That sounds like a pretty good plan.

12. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

I lived in a university residence for a couple of years, going home for the summers, and I had a 5 gallon tank that went with me. Depending upon where you are going, this isn't that big of a deal, as long as you are driving.

But...you need to be sure that you want it. If you do, then the effort is easily worth the trouble. If you don't...it will be a major imposition that will result in suffering for you and for the fish. The fish will get the worst of it.

Just the fact that you have reservations says, to me at least, that you should pass on the idea. And I certainly wouldn't buy any living creature based on the fact that it won't live long anyway. Your fish tank can stay empty until your living situation is a bit more stable, and you will probably be happier in the long run.

13. ETNsilverstarWell Known MemberMember

I second just taking the tank with you when you move. It's what I'd do in your situation. :)

14. Betta'sAnonymousWell Known MemberMember

Have you figured out where it jumped out at? I covered openings on my betta tanks with tinfoil after i had a betta jump and die around New Years...

15. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Another thing to think about, especially if you haven't been checking your tank water parameters (ammonia, nitrites and nitrates) or doing adequate regular water changes. In the wild, Bettas WILL flip themselves out of water that is no longer tolerable to them. They regularly flip from one pool that has become too shallow, muddy, warm or polluted into nearby deeper, cleaner pools of water during periods of drought or flooding. Check your tank water parameters.

16. forestwind1234Valued MemberMember

I really want to keep fish-keeping, but I am kind of discouraged. I am going to take the tank with me to my dorm as it is only five gallons.
    I think that I'm going to go fish shopping on Monday. If I don't fall in love with a betta or guppy I see then, then think it would be best for me to take down the aquarium and wait until I get situated in college to buy a new fish.

It jumped out of a feeding hole in the front of the tank lid. I think that I put too much water in when I did my last water change, and since there was only a centimeter or jump out then he could have done that.

I know the parameters were pretty good because I did a water change just hours before he jumped. I noticed that he had torn his fins on something (there's a plastic decoration that I suspect was the culprit) and I wanted to give him a water change before I went on retreat for the weekend.

17. GuanchyWell Known MemberMember

Would your mom be able to help you feed the fish and do water changes weekly when you are gone? And also if you are setting the tank up again to just break down in 6 months i would suggest to just wait until you are back home

18. forestwind1234Valued MemberMember

Yes she would. I've taught both my parents how to feed and do water changes. My mom in particular really loves fish and is happy to do them.
    The tank is in my room since it is so small I'd take it to college with me, so she wouldn't have to deal with it really.

19. GuanchyWell Known MemberMember

ok cool. On that note, i would suggest getting a betta again. Guppies are very social and i think they shouldnt be kept alone. and in a 5g you dont have much room for guppies since they are so active.

Killifish would work great too.

not sure if you already mentioned it but just curious how did the betta jump out if you had a lid?

20. forestwind1234Valued MemberMember

There is about three square inches in the front of the tank (for feeding) that is open. He jumped out there because I put the water level too high.

I feel like I am at fault. I usually check on him before I sleep, and I couldn't find him so I figured he was hiding. I think he had jumped then, and that if I'd checked the floor I would have found him. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice