1. e

emfish Valued Member Member

Hi Guys,

My betta just won't eat...

he's in a 25 litre with a fluval u1 filter, parameters are
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 40
    His tank is heavily planted and he has a floating log to lie in when he's lounging..

I've tried everything,
    Bloodworms frozen
    Peas
    Betta pellets
    Normal fish flakes
    Algae wafers
    Cyclops (for bettas)

But he won't eat any of it apart from the occasional pea.

He hasn't eaten in about 4 days and even then he only ate around 2/3 peas

He just loves to hang out next to the filter,
    He was making constant bubble nests. Like every day but this has stopped now...

I really don't know what's wrong with him...

Has anyone got any advice? I don't want him to starve.... All my other fish especially my mollies take my hand off for food but ploppy (my betta) is just not too interested :(

Emily

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

has he always hung out by the filter?

3. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

How long have you had this betta? Is this a new fish you got four days ago that you haven't been able to get to eat yet, or is this a fish you've had a while that was eating and now isn't?

4. phenris

phenris Valued Member Member

Nitrates are a tad high but I don’t think they’re high enough to cause serious problems. Might want another opinion on that though. Bubble nests aren’t always a sign of tip top health either, it usually just means your Betta is ready to breed. He probably realized he wasn’t going to meet any females so that could be why he stopped. Any signs of fin rot or discoloration?

5. OP
    OP
    e

Thank you for your replies
    Yes he always chills by the filter, his fins are very long so I think the intake holding him up is why he sits there. I have had him 4 months today.

He was in the shop for aaages and had to get him!!

He used to eat a small amount of pellets every day then 2 days a week have peas instead and sometimes some bloodworms instead of the pellets.

No discolouration or rot. He's the only one his tank as well btw..

I would upload a picture of him but it won't let me...

6. phenris

Huh. Interesting. A picture would be helpful, why isn’t it letting you?

7. OP
    OP
    e

These are pics of him from 2 days ago..

EDIT- Not sure why it wasn't working before... Thank you for the suggestions about the images tho!

Attached Files:

8. IHaveADogToo

The picture is probably too big. If you have an iPhone, email the picture to yourself and it will let you resize it. If you have an android, I'm less familiar, but you could transfer the picture to your computer and resize it with MS Paint.

EDIT - Nevermind, you posted pictures while I was typing this. :)

9. FishFor2018

have you tried clicking add file at the bottom where you click post

10. FishFor2018

What is the temperate of the tank and how big of a tank is it?

11. OP
    OP
    e

Its 26.5 degrees and it's 25 litres and he's in there by himself apart from 2 assassin snails

12. FishFor2018

okay well that seems normal. Have you tried feeding him live food? If not try that and see if he eats its.

13. phenris

That’s strange. He looks perfectly healthy (and beautiful, at that!). Do you know how old he is?

14. OP
    OP
    e

No I haven't tried the live food yet... I haven't tried that with any of my fish I don't really like it haha.. :)

No I'm not too sure how old he is. Maybe nearly a year? I'm not too sure... Thank you. He is lovely

15. IHaveADogToo

No fish can resist wiggly food. Even when they're not hungry, they will always find room for live food. Look into live brine shrimp, and grindal worms.

But, even if you do get him to nibble on some wiggly worm, there's a reason he lost his appetite, and that should be addressed. But you might be able to get some nutrition into him this way while he is behaving this way.

16. OP
    OP
    e

What could it be? Has anyone got any ideas why he could be acting like this? :(

17. FishFor2018

he doesn't seem sick so maybe hes not hungry or he's stubborn. lol. try the live food if that doesn't work then there is something really wrong with him :(
    Has he been though anything stressful?

18. OP
    OP
    e

Nope nothing stressful at all... Poor little ploppy :(

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

19. imba

imba Valued Member Member

Try soaking some of his favourite food in garlic juice. Seachem's garlic guard for example. It helps with the fish's appetite

20. OP
    OP
    e

Thank you @imba :) I'll try it