My Betta is turning white???

1. mch120 Initiate Member

This is my betta fish named Gronk. He was purchased from a pet store back in February so I've only had him for a couple of months. He's currently kept in a heated, 1 gallon tank with no filter and because it's so small I do complete water changes once a week.
    About a week ago I noticed that he had developed some little white spots on his fins. Im positive that it's not ick, I've lost 2 bettas to that so I definitely know how to recognize it. At first I thought it was fin rot but now I'm not so sure...I'll admit that his tank was overdue for a water change and was rather dirty (I know, it kills me:( ). So I did a complete water change, added about a half teaspoon of aquarium salt, and added a portion of a Jungle brand fungus clear tablet, but the white coloring seems to be spreading. His fins don't appear to be frayed or decaying or any of the other symptoms of fin rot, which is why I'm confused. I know that new fin growth appears clear/white and then obtains color, but this isn't new growth...he's now developed patches of white on all fins, and today I noticed a tiny bit of grayish/white near his gills.
    I read on another forum that some bettas can change color, but nothing seems to describe what's happening here. He's acting the same as he always has. He's constructed 2 bubble nests since his last water change (3 days ago), he swims around to great me when I come near his tank, and he's eating just like normal. If someone could please tell me what's happening to his fins or if it actually is fin rot I'd be very appreciative!! Thanks in advance
    Note: I have a photo that I'd like to include but I can't figure out how to attach it so if someone else knows, please let me know!

2. Geoff Well Known Member Member

3. mch120 Initiate Member

[​IMG]
    Here's the photo, and yes I am a Pats fan! The water is so blue because of the fungus clear tablet that I added.

4. Geoff Well Known Member Member

Hmm, I'm not really sure one way or the other. The dorsal fin has a lot of white on it, but if it was fin rot, I feel like it'd be tattered by now. I'm sure someone who knows about these things more than I do will come along soon and give you a better answer.

(Go Giants!)

5. mch120 Initiate Member

That's what I figured too, his fins look fine other than the white....thanks for your help!

6. Geoff Well Known Member Member

No problem, but hopefully someone will know for sure.

7. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

well if he has no filter, then i would be changing the water everyday. second how much do you feed him and how many times a day do you feed him?

8. mch120 Initiate Member

He gets 3 pellets once a day

9. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

no flakes??

10. mch120 Initiate Member

No I have the pellet food rather than flakes

11. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

pellets give little to no nutrition to fish. Feed him beta flakes instead and he will be on a healthier diet and may get better faster.

12. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Totally untrue and unfounded. There are good pellets and bad pellets, just like there are good flakes and bad flakes. It's the ingredients of the food that make the difference, not the format.

13. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

There are many good fish foods in pellet form.

I'd suggest feeding a variety of foods including frozen or live if you can get as a treat it but don't overfeed him.

14. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

i forgot i think it was TexasDomer or someone that said they weren't healthy at all. can't remember

15. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I never said that. I feed my betta pellets almost every day when I don't feed frozen foods. And some of my other fish get pellets too.

16. mch120 Initiate Member

Do you think that the nutrition value could be what's affecting his color? I've owned a number of bettas in the past and they were all fed the same food and none of them ever had this problem. I just want to be sure that it isn't a bigger issue that needs to be addressed.

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would get a filter for his tank and cycle it. If, after cycling (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, >0 nitrates), he's still turning white, I think that may be his natural coloration.

18. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

I doubt it. :)

19. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh I forgot who it was. Do you remember?

20. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't recall anyone saying that, and if they did, it was in error.