My betta is sick

bettaloulou

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,

I havnet been here in a bit, but Im hoping somebody can help me. I havent had him very long and he started develping finrot that just started as a couple of little holes. I posted pics here and nobody thought it was fin rot at that point, so I held off treating until it was clear that it was just getting worse and worse even with daily water changes so I treated for 5 days with jungle fungus clear. It didnt really seem to help the fin rot, but as of yesterday he has taken a turn for the worst. Something seems to be wrong with his swim bladder now. He just keeps quickly sinking to the bottom the second he stops moving his fins. Most of the time he is just slinking or laying sideways on the bottom now. So I did a water change and didnt add any more of the jungle fungus and no improvement this morning.

EDIT: I still changed his water every day on jungle fungus and added more to the new water each day.

He is in a heated 2.5 gallon tank that was only supposed to be temporary until his permanent tank cycles, but it just still hasnt. He has had daily water changes with Prime and VitaChem. Today, I siphoned off nearly half of his water so it wouldnt be so hard for him to get air from the top. Ever since Ive had him ive soaked his hikari pellet and occasional blood worm in Garlic Guard and recently ive been soaking it in vitachem too. Is there anything else I can do?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
poor thing....you are doing all you can and I hope he recovers!!!! was he having the swimming issues and lethargic before the meds? if not, maybe run some fresh carbon in the filter to get the meds out......keeping his water low is great so he wont struggle to get to the top.....ill be praying for him!!!

bettaloulou

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Shawnie, I appreciate it.

No, he didnt have the issue before the meds, I took him out and 100% changed the water last night and rinsed everything in clean tank water before putting it back in to get all of the meds out. I tried turning his filter back on, It was off during the medicating, but it seemed to be way too much current, (it is is very low flow) for him in his weak state so i turned it back off.

Everything in the tank seemed to get pretty slimy and dirty with the Jungle fungus, is that normal?

EDIT: It doesnt so much seem like he is being lethargic, but that when he tries to swim, his tail fin just sinks immediatly then the rest of him sinks and he gives up. But he is still flaring occasionally at his refection. This morning was the first time I had to bring his food to him rather than him being there in the front of his tank begging for it. He just stayed at the bottom and I had to make sure it sunk down to him, but he did still eat.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aw, I'm sorry bettaloulou. I so hope he can pull through this, he's a lovely boy and I remember his story just fine! There's a few of us on here just now with betta troubles, you're not alone, be strong

bettaloulou

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone, I didnt really have time to watch him this morning but he seems better. I gave him some pea last night and fasted this morning. Im hoping that helps. Im just trying to get whatever this thing is under control, then i guess i can go back to trying to treat the fin rot.

bettaloulou

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,

Good news! My little fish fish seems to be feeling a bit better, despite his fins getting more ragged from the finrot, the swim bladder issue seems to be getting better. I fasted him a bit and gave him peas and a few days after a big poop he seems to be doing better thank goodness! Looks like ill have to start a regular pea regimen since this little guy seems prone to constipation. he is no longer sinking and laying on the bottom like he was before. Now i just need to figure out how to treat his finrot. I tried jungle fungus for about 5 days and it didnt do anything but make his water icky. What should I try now? Marylcn 2? or triple sulfa? I really think he needs meds as I keep his water super clean and treated with vita chem already and its not getting better on its own.

EDIT: Here are some pics of his sad little torn up and transparent fins

Attachments

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cool Good and Happy to hear that he recovered from the swim bladder issue.... Hope he recovers from the fin rot too.... All I followed for the fin rot for my boys is, keeping their water clean, and poofff, the fin rot vanished and they started creating bubble nests...

bettaloulou

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Deeps, I wish I could just keep the water clean, but ive been doing that since Ive had him and its only gotten worse. I ended up trying API fungus cure and it seems to be working. THe black edges are starting to go away. Funny thing is it turns the water a bright Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle green, so it looks like he is floating around in some sort of primordial ooze. He doesnt seem to mind though!

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Glad to hear that fungus care is working ... Fin rot sometimes gets too worse that, that clean water and garlic guard cannot heal it... and we have to use meds.. thank God, my boys never had to be treated with meds till now

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh noes! Poor baby!

Sounds like that Malachite green stuff. I used it about a year ago. I'd watch out for debris in the tank. For some reason when I used it, I ended up with a lot of extra gunk at the bottom of my tank. So just a warning to make sure to keep an eye out for any extra gravel vacs I had to do it every day as opposed to once a week. Was ridiculous how gunky it got!

I've also used Melafix. With a sickly betta I got, I kept him on clean water for a week, then started on Melafix until he seemed healthier, then bumped him up to stronger meds. Could just be the other meds you tried were too strong for him to handle at the time.

Hope his fins heal up nicely! I swear it takes ages though. My little man has been healthy for weeks, but there is no sign of his fins regrowing. Keep us updated on your boys status

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom